Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain -- November 5, 2015


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands
January 3rd 2016
Published: January 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Las Palmas is the largest city in the Canary Islands and the 5th largest in Spain. One problem I had on this tour was our guide. As we commenced our tour, I asked Mare why our guide was not speaking English. She informed me that he was. This provides some indication that undoubtedly missed some information on the tour. I caught about one word in twenty and Mare about one in ten. One stop was a winery. Unlike other wineries we have previously visited, the wineries grew multiple crops including coffee beans which they roasted. The coffee plants were positioned along the walkways next to the walls which had trellis's which had grape vines growing up and over the walkways providing the shade the coffee plants require. We tried 3 of the white wines which were very nice. Our next stop was the burial ground for the original inhabitants before the Spanish arrived. It was located in an earlier lave flow area. The natives would pile lava rocks around the dead person in circle till they could enclose the spot. The structure would be about 3 to 4 feet high.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

DSC00924DSC00924
DSC00924

Ancient and New -- the ancient graves with wind turbines on the hill top


Tot: 0.317s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0841s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb