Around Gran Canaria.....continued


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands » Gran Canaria
January 9th 2010
Published: September 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Around Gran Canaria....more



Fuente De Los Azulejos



Fuente De Los Azulejos is about a 20 minute drive inland along the road from Mogan. Here you can see where the rocks have been coloured (blue, green, brown and orange) by mineral deposits. There is also a small cafe here serving excellent mixed fruit juices that will probably provide your 5-a-day requirement several times over for €4.


Puerto De Mogan



Puerto De Mogan was, I guess, originally a fishing village and a port for Mogan. The harbour is now mainly filled with yachts though. The original harbour area has survived with its small houses, and colourful, narrow streets with displays of bright flowers encouraging the tourist brochures to describe it as "Little Venice" - I didn't see any canals or gondolas, though.


Cuevas De Bermajas



The Cuevas De Bermajas are at the end of the road from Aguimes along the Barranco Guayadeque. There are a number of houses here which have been built into the caves - I assume that there's probably a long history of these caves being lived in. We didn't really have enough time to look around the caves but there was
Cuevas De BermajasCuevas De BermajasCuevas De Bermajas

The restaurant dug out from the caves
also a small church which obviously started as a cave and has since been dug further back into the rock. A couple of restaurants, too, have been dug a long way back into the rock.


Puerto Rico and Arguineguin



Puerto Rico is one of the main holiday destinations in Gran Canaria. It is a purpose-built holiday resort with large blocks of apartments and hotels built onto the steep rocky cliffs, a sheltered harbour and a sandy {imported, I guess} beach. It has the usual collection of shops, bars and restaurants and is a popular place with people who want to spend a day on the beach. It was also very easy for us to get to from Maspalomas - a €1:70 bus ride.

From here ferries go along the coast every half hour west to Puerto De Mogan and east to Arguineguin. It costs us €6 for the 30 minute ferry trip to Arguineguin. The ferry makes one stop at the up-market timeshare resort of Amfi Beach. Arguineguin itself is quite a contrast to Puerto Rico. It was originally as fishing village and this still seems to be its main function - most of the boats in the harbour are working boats as opposed to the yachts to be seen in other coastal towns. The harbour front itself boats a large number of fish restaurants serving freshly caught fish - great for people who like fish!

From here it is {theoretically} easy to catch a bus back to Maspalomas. But Arguineguin is a normal "Spanish" town where people go to work rather than lie on the beach - we made the mistake of thinking we could just hop on a bus during the Friday afternoon rush hour!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Puerto RicoPuerto Rico
Puerto Rico

Hotels, a beach, sandcastles ...and sun
Puerto MoganPuerto Mogan
Puerto Mogan

The old houses with displays of flowers
ArguineguinArguineguin
Arguineguin

Still a working fishing town


Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.084s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb