Las Maspalomas Sand Dunes


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Canary Islands » Gran Canaria
November 15th 2021
Published: November 15th 2021
Edit Blog Post

The Maspalomas Dunes Special Natural Reserve is an immense expanse of sand which is continuously sculpted by the wind. The dunes are part of the San Bartolomé de Tirajana municipality in the south of Gran Canaria & have had protected status since 1994.

The dunes emerged hundreds of years ago, fossilised remains spread far and wide by the wind. They provide a unique habitat on the island for African fauna including the giant lizard and several bird species.



They are a living system that reaches maturity at 15 to 20 metres tall and at around 200 metres wide. Later, the trade winds (often blowing onto Playa del Inglés) push the sand inland. Scientists have discovered that the total surface of the dune field experiences periods of growth and shrinkage. At the moment, the dunes seem to be getting bigger.



Today our heygo guide from Amsterdam, Stephan, took us on an amazing walk across the dunes with an amazing sky and eventually a stunning sunset.

I don’t think I have experienced anything so beautiful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement













Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb