San Sebastian...


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country
July 26th 2006
Published: August 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Church in San SebastianChurch in San SebastianChurch in San Sebastian

This Church made a great picture, even though I'm not a church person, you have to appreciate how beautiful this one is.
Ever since Moskowitz told me about his trip to the San Sebastian I knew I had to get there one day. It was even better in person than in all the stories I've heard. San Sebastian is in the heart of the Basque country and is filled with personality. It is a city of 200,000 people but we spent most of our time in the old city an area of about ten blocks by ten blocks.

Since I've been backpacking for close to eight months I decided I would take full advantage of being in Europe, we ate well, drank a bottle of wine (Rioja, my favorite red wines) with every dinner, drank endless cups of coffee (cafe con leche in Spain), and filled our days more or less by sitting around at outdoor cafes making the best of the two weeks we had to see each other.

All told we spent 5 nights in San Sebastian, ate lots of Serano Ham, Iberico Ham, Salami, good cheese (which is non-existent in Asia), fresh baguettes and TAPAS. You could make a case that life in this city revolves around Tapas Bars. They are packed from 12-2 and then from 6-10,
Square in San Sebastian Square in San Sebastian Square in San Sebastian

Spent hours on end sitting around drinking coffee, eating tapas and just shooting the shit.
and the Tapas in San Sebastian is very unique, unlike anything we had in either Madrid or Barcelona.

The only sight seeing I did was walking up the Mountain on the north edge of the harbor. Over the years it has been covered with forts and garrisons providing protection for the city. Culminating with a fort on the top of the hill built by Napoleon's Brother. That was cool but the highlight was the bar that they've built on the edge of the mountain top overlooking both the harbor and the Atlantic Ocean. I spent about three hours up there soaking in the sun, eating jamon iberico and cheese, and reading (which has become my new favorite pastime). Ah life on the road really reminds you that it's the simple things in life that really bring a smile to your face. I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

View from the MountainView from the Mountain
View from the Mountain

This is the view from above the city, the mountain is covered with forts from different eras including one from when Napoleon ruled the city.
The Promenade in San SebastianThe Promenade in San Sebastian
The Promenade in San Sebastian

Did I mention that along with the lovely buildings, San Sebastian happens to be on the coast and has a gorgeous beach.
Help!!!Help!!!
Help!!!

I watched this guys stick his head in one of the cannons at the fort, and the sick bastard that I am was hoping he'd get stuck.
Streets of the Old TownStreets of the Old Town
Streets of the Old Town

The old town in San Sebastian is made up of alleys like this one. You can spend all day walking around, people watching and just admiring the buildings that are hundreds of years old.
IndependenceIndependence
Independence

San Sebastian is filled with signs and graffiti supporting an independent Basque state.
Thirsty?Thirsty?
Thirsty?

I was alittle thirsty too, this picture was funny, but it probably would have been even funnier if that was me drinking from the fountain.
Demonstration of some sort.Demonstration of some sort.
Demonstration of some sort.

I have no idea what they were protesting but my guess is these people support independence for the Basque region.
Tapas anyone?Tapas anyone?
Tapas anyone?

Just a glimpse of the types of food we ate throuugh-out Spain. And by the way that's "Cafe con Leche" my favorite drink in Spain.
Pamela in the SquarePamela in the Square
Pamela in the Square

One of our favorite cafes in the Square. Spent some quality time at this cafe.
Building along the PromenadeBuilding along the Promenade
Building along the Promenade

This building was at one end of the promenade accompanied by a nice park and plenty of quality places to just sit and chill.
Pamela chilling by the SeaPamela chilling by the Sea
Pamela chilling by the Sea

Just a nice place to sit and chill.
Another view of the SquareAnother view of the Square
Another view of the Square

Probably my favorite place in San Sebastian was this square...not that I have to write that, you can probably tell from the number of pics I put up. I even got to see some of Spains future football stars practicing
We love the Goverment of SpainWe love the Goverment of Spain
We love the Goverment of Spain

As you can tell there is no loved lost between some of the Basque people and the Spanish goverment. This was the Spanish navy building.
Top of Napoleon's FortTop of Napoleon's Fort
Top of Napoleon's Fort

This is the statue that dominates the top of the mountain across from San Sebastian.
The HarborThe Harbor
The Harbor

I know it's a hazy picture, but this is the large island in the middle of the harbor that seperates it from the Atlantic.
Some Spainish ArchitectureSome Spainish Architecture
Some Spainish Architecture

An example of the types of buildings you see through-out San Sebastian.


3rd August 2006

Nice Pics
Hi Alan, the pics look great! I should have walked up that mountain with you just to see that guy stick his head in the canon, lol :) love you, Pamela
10th July 2007

What a great place!
My Wife and a good part of her family were in San Sebastian last January for the San Sebastian Festival, where for 24 hours Tens of thousands of the locals dress up like French soldiers, Milk Maids or Bakers and March around beating on drums and playing a lively tune. What a blast!

Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 25; qc: 101; dbt: 0.094s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb