Camino del Norte - Day 2 Pasaia to Igeldo (16km)


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country
May 8th 2011
Published: July 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The morning started with a short boat ride across the Ria de Pasaia to continue our walk. We didn't have to walk long before we come face to face with the spectacular Atlantic Ocean. The day was beautiful with clear blue skies.

This being a Sunday, the path was crowded with local taking a stroll. Most do not hesitate a greeting when they passed us -an "Hola" or "Buenos Dias". The friendly culture of the Spaniards certainly rubbed off us and in no time, we were echoing greetings to people we meet.

The coastal walk runs alongside the beautiful Atlantic Ocean and at one of the view point stops, it was especially tranquil with the seagulls soaring above our heads. We sat there for a short break, each absorbed in our own thoughts.

We reached the affluent San Sebastian town at lunch time and enjoyed a juicy burger and beer. The Sunday beach go-ers filled the La Concha beach and San Sebastian was abuzzed with life! Pity we did not have a chance to try the tapas which San Sebastian was famous for as the next part of the walk became tedious!

The supposed camping ground which we were supposed to reach did not appear. We walked up a hill - which a funicular could have taken us but we were given the wrong information - and along the way, it was written on our faces that the backpack load was becoming overbearing. We had stopped to ask for directions and everyone was extremely helpful. It was with great relief when we finally arrived at the Igeldo campsite!

It's my first european camping experience and I must say I am absolutely impressed - well manicured camping grounds, hot water shower facilities, washing area for laundry and cookware, clean toilets. This campsite even has a supermarket! (In Spanish, it's supermercado and I had learnt that the "r"s had to be "curled" - like super(rrr)mer(rrr)cado - otherwise the locals may not understand if we say it in an American/English way. Very interesting!)

That evening, we whipped up a pot of steaming abalone noodles (courtesy of Pat) complete with sausages and eggs! Oh I forgot to mention that the campsite actually has wifi!

Day 2 was definitely tough. Having to scale upslope towards the end with our backpack loads was no joke but what was rewarding was we had enjoyed a splendid Atlantic view today and all of us are now cleaned, fed and happily settled at the nice and comfortable campsite! A good day pretty much sums it up!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb