Euskaraz badakizu?


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country
July 30th 2010
Published: August 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Photos from our visit to the 'Spanish' and 'French' sides of the Basque Country, Euskadi - July 2010.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

GetariaGetaria
Getaria

The pretty basque fishing port of Getaria, where the universal language is Basque - from old ladies gossiping to children playing in the narrow alleys, everyone speaks Basque, every day.
DonostiaDonostia
Donostia

The refined Belle Epoque resort of San Sebastian - or Donostia if you're Basque.
DonostiaDonostia
Donostia

This square in Donostia used to serve as a bullring - hence the numbered balconies!
PintxosPintxos
Pintxos

Bars laden with pintxos in San Sebastian - perfect with a glass of txakoli, the local equivalent of vinho verde.
Saint-Jean-de-LuzSaint-Jean-de-Luz
Saint-Jean-de-Luz

St Jean de Luz, France, a refined and impeccably maintained French Basque town. On this side of the border they take much more care to maintain traditional Basque architecture.
Saint-Jean-de-LuzSaint-Jean-de-Luz
Saint-Jean-de-Luz

Port of St Jean de Luz with the neighbouring town of Ciboure in the background.
EspeletteEspelette
Espelette

Basque houses in Espelette, French Basque Country. Home of the AOC-denominated red peppers.
Vitoria-GasteizVitoria-Gasteiz
Vitoria-Gasteiz

Central square in Vitoria-Gasteiz, capital of the Basque Country.
Vitoria-GasteizVitoria-Gasteiz
Vitoria-Gasteiz

Cathedral in Vitoria-Gasteiz - looks medieval...but only a hundred years old!
Retro!Retro!
Retro!

Wonderful art-deco petrol station (operational!) in central Vitoria-Gasteiz.
Vitoria-GasteizVitoria-Gasteiz
Vitoria-Gasteiz

Basque street names in Vitoria-Gasteiz. Capital of the the Basque Country (Euskadi) it may be, but hardly anyone here in Araba province speaks Basque.
Murals in Vitoria-Gasteiz...Murals in Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Murals in Vitoria-Gasteiz...

...they're all over the place!


Tot: 0.352s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 30; qc: 121; dbt: 0.2268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.4mb