From Madrid to San Sebastian


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country » San Sebastián
September 18th 2018
Published: September 18th 2018
Edit Blog Post

I really enjoyed my week at the Spanish school and I learned a lot. The entire week was spent on one of the four past tenses, the past perfect. That is an action is finished but the time period continues. e.g. This morning I ate breakfast, because the day is continuing it is a different past form. There is a picture of me with my graduation certificate.

The AirBnB we stayed in for two weeks was a challenge. The room wasn't much larger than a good sized en suite bathroom. There was a closet, bookcase and display case but they were all chockers with the families stuff. We had no choice but to live out of our suitcases. If we wanted something from the suitcase, one of us had to sit on the bed or stand in the corner. None the less the family were very kind as you can see from the picture of Carl and our host and his father.

I really liked Madrid and especially the art galleries. The Prado was fantastic. There are paintings that you have seen in books but the paper they are printed on does not give a good representation of the true luminosity and genius of the work.

People spend a lot of time enjoying themselves in the evening until late. One of the favourite pass times is roller blade skating. They do it with great elan; racing, doing tricks, playing Frisbee and of course not wearing any protective gear. They are brave and heroic and look really cool. The other thing I noticed is a lot of broken arms.

On our way of Madrid we picked up our very, very little Peugeot from the airport. She is more like a sewing machine on wheels. I have my fears for her in the mountains. It was a pretty terrifying experience. Carl did the driving. He was pretty good dealing with all the strangeness. The wrong side of the road, unusual signs and the Spanish bravery when it comes to crossing the road. They own it.

Our next stop was Burgos. There is a fabulous cathedral, hundreds of alcoves and altars, dripping with gold. I look that them and am full of sadness because I know that the gold was stolen. I know about the millions of lives lost, the rape, pillage and disease. And yet the art work is so beautiful. But most of the images are pretty dour, Christ in multiple poses of agony.

San Sebastian is a beach town and very, very lively. The food is fabulous but the surf is flat. A few more days here and then on to the mountains.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



18th September 2018

The road to San Sebastián
Loved the graduation photo. Great photo of Carl too. Must get to Burgos one day. Lots of happy memories of San Sebastián, one of my favourite spots. Great food. The Getty museum in nearby Bilbao a great spot for art. Happy travels.

Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb