Rounding out Stage 5 - Ziortza to Gernika


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country » Guernica
April 6th 2009
Published: April 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 8


Sunday 5th April



Up bright and early with a monk delivering us breakfast - coffee and baguette slices. I swear I will start to look like a baguette by the time this trip is over..! The coffee was cold and the bread a little stale, and hence a little let-down after the super meal the night before, but definitely better than no breakfast at all (or even yesterday's breakfast for that matter!)



We set off at about 8.30am, being the last of the pilgrims to hit the road. The 18km day was a relatively good one with only moderate climbs and descents, and a definite improvement in my pain levels, and hence whole attitude. Lauren seemed to think that a lot of my arch pain in my feet was due to my gumby pigeon-toed walk and so I spent a lot of the day trying really hard to walk straight (like a normal person), and have found a definite improvement in the time it takes for my feet to feel like it would be less painful to just cut them off at the ankles and continue walking
So cute!So cute!So cute!

- Day 8 -
on stumps.... (maybe a slight exaggeration there...)



The weather was a bit drizzly and miserable but still not too bad. We made good time, reaching our destination of Gernika at about 2pm. We eventually found the albergue, a hostel, and as they weren't open until 4pm we made ourselves some lunch on the bench out front while we waited. The German mother and son also rocked up, and we re-read the sign on the door which gave a number to call if arriving before opening hours. So Lauren rang and we were given the code to get in the front door. Once inside, we treated ourselves to a second shower in as many days (luxury!) and a little siesta.



We then ventured into town for dinner at a bar. It turned out to be an awesome choice with my chicken baguette burger and Dav's hamburger being simply fantastico! The whole night was really great as the four of us sat around, eating our lovely meals and having a few glasses of wine over yet another friendly game of cards. It was all rounded off with an awesome chocolate cream sponge cake for dessert, before heading back to the darkened hostel at 10.30pm, being the last of the pilgrims to retire for the night...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.299s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0761s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb