The Crossing


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Basque Country » Bilbao
August 6th 2009
Published: August 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The DepartureThe DepartureThe Departure

A last friendly farewell from the UK - oh how we'll miss the weather!

Portsmouth to Bilbao (Tim and Sue)



Bit of a bumpy start - our ferry departure was slightly delayed due to 'unseasonal weather'. The drive down to Portsmouth was an absolute shocker so no surprises that the ferry didn't turn up to dock until quite late. Here's hoping that this isn't going to continue on the crossing.

It was bit of 'rough crossing' in various senses of the word. Generally OK (we went P&O) but I think if we did it again we'd maybe go Brittany Ferries instead. Even though we were in the bow the whole of the ship vibrated. Some might like that kind of thing (!) but it was like going to sleep on a vibra-mattress. Food wasn't too bad in the restaurant we went to but I'd advise buying buying some fresh fruit and stuff for breakfast if you do this crossing.

We'd been traveling sans timepieces up until now, and while liberating this has practical drawbacks. Our plan was to get some budget watches just so we'd know the time that weren't so 'showy'. After a session with a really helpful Spanish lady you can see this didn't quite work out as planned.
Umm... are you sure about this?Umm... are you sure about this?Umm... are you sure about this?

Maybe we should have flown.

Early start approaching - off at the crack of dawn on a Saturday for our drive down through Spain.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

"Subtle" and "non-descript" watches for the trip"Subtle" and "non-descript" watches for the trip
"Subtle" and "non-descript" watches for the trip

Yeah - no-one will notice those and rob us, or anything!
Day 1Day 1
Day 1

Sue documents the prevailing weather conditions. No dolphins, though.


Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb