Escape to Mallorca, Part III


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Balearic Islands » Majorca
February 13th 2005
Published: February 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We continue on the road from the overlook just east of Port de Pollenca. The road down to Platja da Formentor is much like other secondary roads we've travelled across--small guardrail, two thin lanes (one for each direction), lots of curves and lots of steep drops. As we "bottom out" just near Platka da Formenta, the road becomes straight and cuts through a forest. Emerging from the forest, one finds themselves several hundred meters above the ocean, again with steep cliffs. The next 11 kilometers gives a roller-coaster enthusiast a good adrenaline rush.

After 11 kilometers of Bethany wearing out the "oh-s#!t handle" and hogging the middle of the road whenever possible, we arrive at the lighthouse at Cap de Formentor. This lighthouse is on the last windswept pinnacle of this stretch of granite protrusions. Its too hazy to see too far, but we can see Cap de Ferrutx off to the south.

It's now 1 pm and we have to return the car.We make no more stops on the road from Cap de Formentor until we reach the rental place in Port d'Alcudia. We return the car, and walk along the beach back to the Bodega d'es Port. Bethany liked the look of the paella there, and insist that we get some. It's good. I get to eat desert--being in Spain, I have flan.

When we get to the bus stop, we find that the bus' next departure for Palma is one hour before our flight departs. Lesson learned: get the rental car at the airport or check for the bus' return schedule. Fortunately, the cab doesn't cost too much.

For our remaining two hours in Mallorca, we walked around Palma. Admittedly, there is nothing I really want to see, but we do make it down to the battlements that stand above the harbor. As the sun sets, I look back toward the city and see Palma's grand cathedral, beautifully lit.

Our fly-by-night weekend closes with us sitting in a bar in the Palma airport, listening to our flight boarding call and a mad dash through security and down the marathon corridor to our gate.

The last port of our trip has been stressful, but our visit here has brought me great stress relief. Relatively speaking, it was nice to have some justifiable (if self-imposed) stress compared to what I was needed to escape.

Yep, a weekend in Mallorca was the ticket.

FIN

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb