Aventuras en Zahara de La Sierra


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Zahara de la Sierra
July 26th 2014
Published: July 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Adventures in Zahara de la Sierra:

June 21 to July 16/ 2014



Our time spent in Zahara de la Sierra was filled with adventure, hard work, numerous learning experiences, and appreciation of natures beauty. Since we spent an extensive amount of time in Zahara, just under four weeks, we are going to break our descriptions into the town itself, the farm or “finca” we stayed at including the work we did, and the various day time excursions throughout beautiful southwestern Andalusia.



Zahara De La Sierra:



There is no single word which can capture the truly stunning beauty of Zahara de la Sierra. Photos don’t do the village justice and words even less, but we will try with both. The town is situated within the famous Sierra de la Grazelema, a magnificent mountain range with towering cliff tops and dramatic steep canyons. Zahara was built on one of these cliffs. The town has a very historic background, as it sits at the beginning of the ancient pass through the mountain range. Because of this, the Moorish settlers built a truly epic Castle Keep on top of this towering cliffside, it’s ruins still standing proud over the valley below. The houses, sitting comfortably beneath this ultimate protector, are painted of the cleanest white, which is why it is a part of the famous Andulasian Pueblos Blancos. The drive up to the town is perilous, as the road is steep and the streets are narrow. Once in the historic centre, you are surrounded by a very welcoming sight for a town of roughly 1500, about ten bars nestled right next to each other. While the town has a small population, it is a magical place not just because of the castle or the tranquil beauty, but also the people. They are filled with an innate kindness and are generally filled with a happiness at all things in life which is truly inspiring. They know very well each other and for the new ones in town they will do their best to make them feel welcome. The sweetest person we got to know was the town baker Cristina. She and her whole family work on the bakery as well as on their ecologic self sustaining farm just outside of the village and took it upon themselves to make us feel at home.



Our first impression to the city however, had a very, very different look than the description above. We were incredibly fortunate to arrive the day before the famous Catholic tradition of Corpus Christi, which Zahara is famous for throughout the region. For days in advance, the men of the village cut thousands of branches of bamboo and various other green plants to decorate the town in a never-ending sea of green. The women cut and prepare flowers which they tie into this sea of green branches. The end product is a tunnel of aquamarine light flittering in from above. As you enter, a sense of wonder overcomes and appreciation for the work that was put into this event by the townsfolk, who by now are thoroughly enjoying themselves at the numerous bars stated above. At midday, the bells from the two Catholic churches begin their tolling and the day’s procession begins. The local priests bring out a giant alter depicting Jesus Christ and carry it from one church to the other, about 250 meters away. Behind them, the school band belts out various songs. My first thought of this music and event was of the movie The Godfather Part 2. We stay for a while after and enjoy the afternoon. Our Host’s inform us that the procession, which lasted about maybe 30 minutes was a prelude to a massive 3 day party in the town. Looking around, the locals were well on their way to alcohol heaven. This day was also memorable in that we met what became a very good friend of ours, Katherina another work away from Germany. She was staying in a neighboring Finca and we were able to build a great friendship with her, and share many adventures.



We spent a few afternoons in Zahara de la Sierra but their were no stories to tell from them. Our memories will be from our nights out in Zahara. Our internet was down in our finca for numerous days, so we would go into the village at night to watch the World Cup games. We frequented a particular bar which became our “go to place” called El Gallo. For the semi-final and final, were joined by another great friend of ours, Eddie from England. We drank many Cervesita’s and quite a few free shots of local liquors in honor of our loyalty to the establishment. On our last night, we climbed atop the cliff and explored the ancient medieval part of town. To cap off a truly wonderful experience, we broke into the castle keep and climbed up it’s narrow stairway in pitch darkness to the very top and caught a magnificent, spectacular, and forever remembered sunset. We felt on top of the world.





Finca Juan Elana:



Entering our residence for the next month, we were gladly met by two fantastic dogs, which both soon captured all of our hearts. Sam and Megan were barking as we walked through the two gates, curious as to who these two new workawayers were. The finca itself is built in classic Spanish colonial style. White paint with black rejas and solid wood planks decorate the outside while inside is spacious, with stone floors creating a ‘cool’ effect to escape the blistering heat outside. The finca has a beautiful interior but extraordinary exterior. Potted flowers dot the driveway and walkway into the finca, an abundance of color welcoming every entrance. The finca lies in a valley, about five minute drive from Zahara and has very fertile soil. 16 bustling fruit trees are to the left of the rosemary hedged pathway, while to the right they have a little stream and their own olive grove. As beautiful as the front is, the back yard is even more capturing. The terrace is completely shaded by two hanging grape vines, with luscious purple grapes dangling tantalizing close. Flowers and plants of all kinds litter the border of the terrace, again, creating a tranquil effect of utter relaxation. Looking out from the terrace is a green lawn with two flower beds bordering the lazy stream. Opposite the stream is a Tucrium hedge with a stone lined pathway cutting in-between. Along the pathway there are two giant Fig trees along with an Apricot tree, both of which were littering the ground with juicy goodness. Lavender and Mint litter the Finca delivering an aroma which soothes the soul. Jason’s absolute favorite part about the backward terrace is the view of Zahara’s Castle Keep in the distance. Far to the left of the Tucrium hedge and bordering the fence to the large Olive Grove is the finca’s Huerta, or farm patch. In the Huerta there are Cucumber, Tomato, Green Pepper, Cauliflower, Onion, Eggplant, Squash, and a Zucchini plant which literally delivers the largest Zucchini’s we have ever seen. Much later we meet the Finca’s three black cats: Tom, Noisy, and Bissy. All three are terrified of us and we see little of them throughout our stay.





Our work was to housesit the Finca while the Host’s, Layla and David, were visiting family and friends in Great Britain. We were responsible for many daily tasks with three main jobs which they wanted accomplished by the end of our stay. Our favorite daily task was walking the two dogs once in the morning and once in the evening. We had our own loop pathway around the valley which the dogs loved. Sam in particular loved this time and was so funny because he would wag his tail so hard that we thought it would break their antique furniture. As he viscously wagged his tail, he would run five steps and look behind him to make sure we were following with perhaps the biggest dog smile we’ve ever seen. Assured, he would run another five steps stop and give us the same look. He really melted our hearts. Other daily tasks which weren’t as rewarding was feeding those dogs and cats, watering the lawn for two hours, watering the little herb garden, and Plumdago and Daisy plants. Every other day we were responsible for watering the Huerta and all other flowers on the property. Once a week, which was the big one, we spent practically the whole day watering all the fruit trees, hedges, and numerous Oleander plants. Our other jobs were more welcoming, but not all. Let’s start with the never-ending and relentlessly boring process of ‘weeding.’ We had to weed all the flower beds, stream, fruit trees, and Huerta which of course took hours. Unfortunately, about three days later, all those freaking weeds were right back where they were. Regardless, we grew to really dislike the weeding process, however, when we left the finca, all of the above sections looked in much better repair then when we began our stay. Another job, similar to weeding, was weed-whacking with the motorized strimmer. Not fun in 100 degree heat. The job we really enjoyed though was painting the Finca’s rejas, or wrought iron window panes. The previous black paint was eroding and we had to clean each rejas and then paint it a clean black. We were diligent and thorough in this work and while difficult, it was rewarding to see the end product. A few side jobs that we accomplished was finishing the stone lined pathways, fixing various water hedges which had become tangled with roots or weeds and lining the bottom of the stream with smooth rocks to allow for wading the feet on the hot summer days. While the work was difficult and seemed to be never-ending, we felt like we both learned from this experience and will hold onto these memories forever. We were so happy to learn about the work in creating and maintaining the Huerta as well as the importance of weeding the property despite the mind numbing process of it. Our dream is to eventually have two dogs, so learning all the hard work and responsibility it takes to care for them over the course of 4 weeks, is knowledge and an experience we will share forever. Despite the work that was required of us, Layla and David were gracious enough to lend us their car while they travelled, which allowed us to truly explore the region. Our routines included waking us relatively early and finishing our 5 hours of work and then taking off in the afternoon to explore. Our next post will describe our explorations.







Español

Aventuras en Zahara de la Sierra:

21 de junio

al 16 julio / 2014



El tiempo que pasamos en Zahara de la Sierra estuvo lleno de aventuras, de arduo trabajo y numerosas experiencias de aprendizaje y reconocimiento de la naturaleza y su belleza. Ya que hemos pasado una gran cantidad de tiempo en Zahara, poco menos de cuatro semanas, vamos a dividir nuestras descripciones en la misma ciudad, la granja o finca en donde nos alojamos; en particular en los trabajos que hicimos, y las diversas excursiones por el espectacular tiempo al suroeste de Andalucía.



Zahara De La Sierra:



No existe una sola palabra que pueda capturar la verdadera belleza de Zahara de la Sierra. Las fotos no hacen justicia al pueblo y palabras aun menos, pero vamos a probar con ambos. La ciudad está situada en la famosa Sierra de la Grazalema, una magnífica sierra con imponentes acantilados y abruptos cañones. Zahara fue construida en uno de los acantilados de la zona. La ciudad tiene un contexto histórico, ya que se encuentra en uno de los picos de la gama de montañas que le rodean. Debido a esto, los Moros los Colonos construyeron un castillo que es verdaderamente épico en la parte superior de este imponente acantilado, ruinas que todavía se muestran casi intactas por el valle. Las casas, objetivamente asentado debajo de este protector supremo, están pintadas todas de blanco, por lo que es parte de los famosos Pueblos Blancos en Andalucía. El camino en carro dentro de la ciudad es un poco peligroso, ya que el camino es empinado y las calles en piedra son muy estrechas. Una vez en el centro histórico, vemos que se encuentra rodeado de una terraza, la cual ofrece una muy agradable vista de la ciudad desde aproximadamente los años 1500, cerca de diez bares ubicados uno al lado del otro. Mientras que la ciudad tiene una población pequeña, es un lugar mágico no sólo por el castillo o la tranquila belleza, sino también de la gente. Están llenos de una bondad innata y, en general, están llenos de una felicidad en todas las cosas que hacen parte de la vida, es realmente inspirador. Ellos se conocen muy bien entre sí y se aseguran de brindar muy buena bienvenida a la gente que viene de visita para que se sienta lo mejor posible. La persona más dulce a la que llegamos a conocer en la Villa fue a Cristina la Panadera. Ella y toda su familia trabajan en la panadería, así como en su granja ecológica autosuficiente, en las afueras del pueblo. Nos hicieron sentir como en casa.



Nuestra primera impresión de la ciudad sin embargo, fue muy, muy diferente de la descripción anterior.Fuimos grandemente afortunado por llegar el día antes de la famosa tradición católica del Corpus Christi, la cual Zahara es famosa en toda la región. Durante días de antelación, los hombres de la aldea cortan miles de ramas de bambú y diversas otras plantas verdes para decorar la ciudad de un interminable mar de color verde. Las mujeres cortan y preparan las flores que vinculan a este mar de ramas verdes. El producto final es un túnel de luz, color aguamarina. A mediodía, las campanas de las dos iglesias católicas comienzan su encargo y el día comienza con la procesión. Los sacerdotes y los locales llevan a cabo un gigantesco altar de Jesucristo el cual van cargando, de una iglesia a otra, a unos 250 metros. Detrás de ellos, esta la banda de la escuela que entona diversas canciones. Mi primer pensamiento con loquee esta pasando y con este tipo de música fue como sentirme en la película "El Padrino” Parte 2. Nos quedamos un rato y disfrutando de la tarde. Nuestro anfitrión nos cuenta que la procesión, que duró aproximadamente unos 30 minutos fue un preludio de una gran fiesta que dura 3 días en la ciudad. Este día fue memorable ya que conocimos y con el tiempo nos convertimos en muy buenos amigos con Katherina, otra work-away joven que venia desde Alemania. Ella estaba alojandose en una finca vecina a la de nosotros, y con ella construimos una gran amistad, y compartimos muchas aventuras.



Por lo demás, pasamos algunas tardes en Zahara de la Sierra pero no hay muchas historias que contar de ellas. Nuestras noches en Zahara se convirtieron en casi un ritual de futbol. ya que no teníamos internet en la finca, nos convertimos excelentes clientes del bar llamado “El Gallo”. Para la semi-final y final, nuestro amigo Eddie de Inglaterra compartió con nosotros la alegría de ver a Brazil perder y Alemania ganar. En El Gallo bebido algunas Cervesita y unos cuantos shots gratis por parte del dueño en honor de nuestra lealtad. En nuestra última noche, subimos a la sima del acantilado a explorar la parte medieval de la ciudad. Fue un final de una experiencia maravillosa, que culmino con la vista del grandioso castillo. Subimos la angosta escalera en absoluta oscuridad en la parte superior y cogimos un magnífico y espectacular atardecer. Nos sentíamos en la cima del mundo.





Finca Juan Elana:





Al entrar en nuestra residencia para el mes siguiente, con mucha alegría fuimos recibidos por dos fantásticos perros, que al poco tiempo capturaron nuestros corazones. Sam y Megan ladraban por la puerta curiosos de estos dos nuevos “workawayers” (trabajadores). La finca está construida en el clásico estilo colonial español. Pintura blanca con rejas negras, tablones de madera maciza que decorar el exterior mientras que en el interior es amplio, con suelos de piedra que crean un efecto frío para escapar del abrasador calor exterior. La finca tiene un interior muy bonito pero extraordinario exterior. Macetas de flores a la entrada y pasillos de la finca. La abundancia de color hace mucho mas acogedora la entrada. La finca se encuentra en un valle, a unos cinco minutos en coche de Zahara y tiene suelos muy fértiles. 16 hermosos árboles frutales están a la izquierda de el romero el cual hace un camino cubierto, mientras que en la parte derecha tiene un pequeño arroyo y su propio olivar. La parte delantera es muy atractiva pero el patio trasero es incluso más capturador. La terraza está completamente oculta bajo la sombra de dos viñedos de uva, uvas de exuberante color púrpura colgando tentadoramente. Flores y plantas de todo tipo están por todo el borde de la terraza, una vez más, creando un ambiente de total relajación. Mirando desde la terraza se encuentran dos caminos bordeados por Tucrium un especie de planta, con un borde de piedra en el medio. A lo largo de la ruta hay dos gigantes higueras junto con un árbol de albaricoque. llena de Lavanda y menta, la Finca ofrece un aroma que alivia el alma. El lugar favorito de Jason es en la terraza donde la vista es el Castillo de Zahara en la distancia. En la Huerta hay Pepino, tomate, pimiento verde, coliflor, cebolla, berenjena, calabaza, vegetales y un calabacín que literalmente ofrece la mayor cantidad de calabacín que hemos visto. Más tarde nos encontramos con los tres gatos negros de la finca: Tom, Ruidoso y Betsy.





Nuestro trabajo consistía en cuidar de la Finca mientras los anfitriones, Layla y David, fueron de viaje a visitar a su familia y amigos en Gran Bretaña. Éramos responsables de muchas tareas diarias con tres tareas principales que debíamos terminar al final de nuestra estancia. Nuestra obligación diaria y favorita era caminar a los dos perros, una vez por la mañana y otra vez por la noche. Sam, era muy chistoso, cada vez que sabia que era su turno comenzaba a batir la cola con tal fuerza que penábamos que iba a romper los muebles, nos miraba con casi una sonrisa gigante que realmente derretía nuestros corazones. Otras tareas cotidianas que no ya no eran tan divertidas era alimentar a los perros y gatos, regar el césped durante dos horas, regar el jardín de hierbas y plantas de toda la finca. Todos los días debíamos regar la Huerta y todas las flores de la propiedad (arduo trabajo, ya no queremos tener flores en la casa).



Una vez a la semana, los Martes, pasamos prácticamente todo el día en el riego de todos los árboles frutales, setos, Adelfa y numerosas plantas. Otros trabajos también duros era cortar las "malas hierbas,” eliminar toda la maleza que rodeaba las flores, arroyo, árboles frutales y huerta. Por supuesto esto nos llevo horas y días para terminarlo. Otro trabajo, similar al control de malezas, ere cortar el pasto. No fue muy divertido en los 42 grados de temperatura. El trabajo nos gustó mucho aunque fue la pintura de todas las rejas de hierro forjado el que nos tomo mas tiempo. Al final fue muy gratificante ver el producto final.



Nos hizo muy feliz el poder conocer la labor y el mantenimiento de la Huerta, así como la importancia de eliminar la maleza en toda la propiedad para así conservarla en buen estado. También aprendimos la responsabilidad de cuidar de los perritos y gatos. Es un conocimiento y una experiencia que guardaremos para siempre. Nuestro próximo destino será describir nuestras exploraciones y aventuras conduciendo el carro de la familia por toda Andalucía.


Additional photos below
Photos: 147, Displayed: 35


Advertisement



Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb