Kite surfing in Tarifa


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Tarifa
August 19th 2007
Published: September 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

With a day in Malaga.
Partied too hard first night and paid for it the next few days.
Perfect hot sunny weather in Spain, as agreed.
Perfect wind in Tarifa, as agreed.
One good buddy as amped as I was to be learning kite surfing; Pistol Pete.
One awesome very relaxed kite instructor and his wicked dog.
One very chilled out hostel and a bunch of very cool people.
The recipe for an excellent week!

Kite surfing is not easy, there are a lot of elements to deal with, flying the kite (which is an aero wing), wind fluctuations, the surf, other people crashing their kites (which you dont want to be near) But it is good fun and i will be doing it again at some stage to get good at it. The idea of effectively wake boarding under your own power for as long as you like is very appealing.

Tarifa is a cool little town with the classic laid back spainish attitude. Our days consisted of sleeping in, going to the kite store around 11-12 as requested, waiting for the instructor to arrive, waiting some more for him to get ready and decide whether the weather is good, driving to the kite beach, setting up, practicing, cursing, cursing some more, sunset, back to hostel, late late dinner, drinks at the hostel and out.

We had a wicked hostel crew there for the week, with Wyatt and Brent two american boys, those damn Norwegians Helena and Maren, Mary the english rose, SFA Californian Ali, the hot italians, and who could forget Tweak (aka Ben) the crazy canadian amongst plenty of other randoms. Plenty of drinks, stories to be had not to mention shared cooked meals, I ate better at the hostel than I do at London restaurants!

My only sour note was missing my flight home sunday arvo because i was sitting reading and listening to music at the wrong gate (C46 instead of C48) and realising about 1 minute too late. Then having to get a 0230 flight, waiting 12hrs at the airport for it, arriving back to london in shorts and a tee shirt at 0530 to 11 degrees and rain, and only getting home in time to drop my stuff off before going to work! I have been sooo glad to get out of London for some sun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The kite shopThe kite shop
The kite shop

Where we spent a significant amount of time hanging out waiting for our instructors
Chilling at the blue barChilling at the blue bar
Chilling at the blue bar

Ali, Mary, Brent and Wyatt
Those damn NorwegiansThose damn Norwegians
Those damn Norwegians

Maren and Helena
My airport spotMy airport spot
My airport spot

this is where i killed 12hrs hunkered down like a hobo


10th September 2007

Sounds mint!
wicked stories mate. Keep em coming. Glad to hear you're having the time of your life out that ways. But be sure to hit me up on your way home.

Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.04s; cc: 19; qc: 88; dbt: 0.0867s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb