Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Málaga » Colmenar
May 26th 2011
Published: May 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

These pictures were taken during the first three weeks of our stay here Spain. We are in Andalucia in Southern Spain, which is new territory for all of us. Our house is located on the side of a hill overlooking a small valley northwest of Comares which is approx. 15 kilometers northwest of Malaga on the Mediterranean Coast. Comares is a gem of a little pueblo that clings to the top of a mountain just 2 or 3 kilometers away (as the crow flies). We are surrounded by groves of olive and almond trees which cover the hills. There are cacti and other exotic plants all around. Because it's been such a rainy Winter and early Spring here, the hills are especially green for this time of year. The sound of the goats and sheep as well as their bells can be heard, especially around dusk.

The neighbors here in the country are very nice. They speak with a thick Andalucian country accent that is harder to understand than the city folks in Malaga. There are lots of English and German ex-pats and tourists in this region but there are very few Americans !

Our first day trip took us to a neighboring small city, Antequera, which is about a 35 minute drive to the northwest. Antequera has a rich history and with lots of amazing cathedrals and beautiful buildings. The most prominent structure is the Alkazaba, which is the old Moorish Fortress that stands above the city. We explored the Alkazaba, took lots of pictures of the the fort and the surrounding Cathedrals,and talked to the actors about the history of the fort. While standing on the walls of the fort, it was fascinating to imagine the arrows flying, the catapaults hurling the giant balls, as well as the hot oil being dumped on the attacking Spanish.

We have since been to The Alhambra in the amazing city of Granada, The Nerja Caves, The Atlantic Beaches of Tarifa, and to The Rock Of Gilbraltar. We'll be posting pictures of those trips on upcoming blogs.

(You can click on each individual photo to see more details)


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Two More Nice GuysTwo More Nice Guys
Two More Nice Guys

Who Attract Flies
The Plateau Across the ValleyThe Plateau Across the Valley
The Plateau Across the Valley

Extensive Moorish Ruins on the Top
Zack and Hunter Zack and Hunter
Zack and Hunter

At The Moorish Ruins On Top Of The Plateau
Historic Plaque in ComaresHistoric Plaque in Comares
Historic Plaque in Comares

Describing The Moorish Origins Of The Town
AntequeraAntequera
Antequera

Ciudad de Arte
The Bell Tower Was AddedThe Bell Tower Was Added
The Bell Tower Was Added

By The Spanish After They Took Over The Fort


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb