Bullfight in Granada


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Granada
April 17th 2005
Published: April 18th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Me at the BullringMe at the BullringMe at the Bullring

Sunburnt and all!
We finally experienced Spain´s finest artform...the bullfight. Sunday we went to La Plaza de Toros in Granada and saw 8 bulls. One torero (bullfighter) was on horse and the others on foot. Our favorite was El Fandi, because he is from Granada and so the crowd went nuts and he showed off. The excitement was contagious!

Having gone when I was in Spain in high school, and not having enjoyed the bullfight then, I didn´t expect to enjoy it this time. But, because I know more about the culture and background this time, I really had a good time. Plus it helps to be with a group of friends.

Each torero has one bull to kill, and after the bull is dead, a team of horses pulls him out of the ring where he is made into hamburgers. Okay, a little blunt, but it´s the truth! If the torero did an okay job, he receives one of the bull´s ears from the ¨President¨, if he does pretty well, he gets two ears. If he is outstanding (as Fandi was), he gets both ears and the tail.

This bullfight was different because all proceeds went to benefit the Down
Torero and his bullTorero and his bullTorero and his bull

Fighting the bull with his cape and sword
Syndrome organization in Spain. So, because the bullfights weren´t getting paid, they didn´t wear the sparkly outfits. Still, it was a fun, cultural experience.

Afterwards, a bunch of us girls went to get tapas at a nearby place...a new favorite! We got plates of pasta, pizza, cheese, etc. for a cheap drink! However, it wasn´t hard to start school this week as we only have 2 days until we´re lying in the beaches of the Canaries!!

All said and done, I would recommend anyone visiting Spain to go to a bullfight. It isn´t just a bull and a sword, it´s a tradition transformed into an art and a talent that is respected by most of the country. ¡Olé!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Impatient!Impatient!
Impatient!

Waiting for the event to begin... Me, Tara and Laura
The bull leaves the ringThe bull leaves the ring
The bull leaves the ring

The horses drag the bull from the ring after its death
Me at Plaza de TorosMe at Plaza de Toros
Me at Plaza de Toros

Granada´s bullring featuring---me!
Show-offShow-off
Show-off

Fandi showing his skills---teasing the bull on his knees
Fandi al FinalFandi al Final
Fandi al Final

At the end, people throw their belongings to the torero if they liked his performance, hoping he´ll touch it and throw it back.
Tapas for allTapas for all
Tapas for all

Laura and I at the tapas bar after the fight


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb