Grand Jewel of Granada - The Alhambra


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Granada
July 10th 2011
Published: July 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

As we drove, we knew we were getting close to Granada when the Sierra Nevada Mountains started to appear. We got into our hotel late and then went out in search of food as we were both starving. After dinner, we went to bed “early”- around midnight since we had been going to bed late and getting up early the whole trip so far. No rest for the adventurous!

The next morning, after a typical European breakfast of bread, cheese and freshly-squeezed orange juice we caught a bus to take us to the Alhambra. Anyone who has had even the slightest glance at a basic art history book will have likely seen a picture of the Alhambra. Built during the Islamic rule of the Nasrid emirate, this sprawling complex contained a palace, fort, royal court, gardens and a small city of its own. The Nasrids held power for 250 years and during that time, Granada was one of the richest and most cultured cities in Europe.

Roaming through the Alhambra complex took a good three hours. Even though the day was hot, we enjoyed it. Afterwards, we walked around the modern Granada. One open doorway caught our eye. It belonged to a meat shop with attached cafe specializing in the local ham products. The entire ceiling was strung up with cured hunks of meat.

It was a beastly task trying to choose photos to accompany this blog entry since we snapped sooooo many! Two or three images just doesn't cut it. Yet, coming to our house and viewing hundreds could make your eyes glaze over. I'll have to come up with a satisfactory compromise. Maybe a little scrapbook or something.

As I said, there is no rest for the adventurous. So back into the car we went. Our trusty but compact Fiat Panda headed southwest, back toward the beaches of Malaga and Marbella. We found dinner at Puerta Banús where thousands of people congregate and cruise the streets, shops and restaurants until the wee hours of the morning. Just the people-watching here is entertaining. A good number of the rich and famous show up here too, it seems. Just in the space of less than half a block we saw a Lamborghini and a Ferrari parked in front of rows of fully-outfitted yachts moored at the marina. Not too far away is a shop that sells only Rolex watches. Puerta Banús is definitely worth a late-night visit.

Well, soon we will take wing to spend 2 days in Madrid before ending our trip. Hope you enjoyed our wanderings. Until out next excursion, stay well! Adios!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb