Hats off


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Granada
May 9th 2009
Published: May 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

The route, more or less, to date

Hat attackHat attackHat attack

The latest fashion from Granada
Apparently, hats are where it's at in Granada.

We arrive early this morning, fresh off the night bus. After checking into our hostel and getting a quick breakfast and some internet time, we walk around, getting a feel for the city. We notice a lot of dressed up people heading in one direction. It's not Sunday, so our interest is peaked. "Fashion show?!" I secretly think. Suddenly, we stumble across what can only be described as a gift from the heavens: dozens of women dressed in the tackiest, frilliest, most color-tastic ensembles EVER. It was weird. Really weird. Made more hilarious by the fact that they obviously thought they looked AWESOME and were playing it up for the the crowd that had gathered in front of the church. Believe me, they were working it. We stood there for a good 10 minutes, gawking at each gussied-up, freakish peacock that came tottering by in their too-high-heels. And there were hats. Oh my lord were there hats. The kind of hats that you may have seen at drag shows. And they matched the shoes and bags perfectly. Rarely is one treated to such a fierce array of color coordination. It was almost like watching a broadway musical: HATS! It was a little disappointing when the bride finally showed up to her wedding and the the lot of them clammered to get inside. I can only hope that my wedding will be as nutso as this one. Where do I rent these people??!

Backtracking a bit now, I've been to Barcelona and Valencia since I last wrote. Barcelona was...phenomenal. Yes, there were tons of tourists (and the pickpockets who know and love them), but the rewards far outweighed the drawbacks. We did a full day of Gaudi architecture which were sublimely surreal. At it's best it can transport you. At it's worst it is like Walt Disney woke up one morning and decided to move to Florida and build a crappy mini-golf course.

In Valencia, our "beach day" was slightly dampened by the rather chilly weather. But the $1.00 bottle of wine we bought quickly restored our spirits. The stuff was not only drinkable, it was actually good. I never thought I'd say "This $1.00 bottle of wine is dee-licious." But I did, and it was.

Next up: Morocco

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb