Cadiz


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Cádiz
June 5th 2017
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Another city of small laneways but not so big that it becomes a problem. I.e. fairly easy to navigate around. Our apartment was comfortable if a little on the small side especially the bathroom. Strictly one at a time here.

First up was a walk along the beach to get over a couple of hours in the car. Lovely sand and coolish water. Quite strange to find a public building built out over the sand at this relatively small patch of beach right near the old town area. What it did though was to provide a shade area for those looking to not go too hard on the suntan - i.e. the two of us!

A walk around the Cadiz old town area you can see the history from Roman times right through Muslim invasions and Christian takeovers to today. We are comfortably able to walk around the various parts of the city and explore all the gardens, squares and laneways. A walking tour by a very passionate Cadiz resident was very informative.

One of the reasons for visiting Cadiz was as a base to visit Gibraltar. Due to Liz having her passport stolen and no replacement until Madrid, we were unable to go there which is a big disappointment as we do not look like being back in this area.

Our last evening was spent at a Flamenco Club. The physicality of the dancing was amazing. Each of the 3 dancers were extremely talented, very tightly controlling their dance moves and putting everything into their performances. The male dancer was I think the tallest Spaniard we had come across so when he did the Flamenco heel tap and stamping he really let you know what he was about. Deafening. The ladies were just as forthright and had the crowd enthralled with third twists and thrusts and swishing of their colourful skirts.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Camera ObscuraCamera Obscura
Camera Obscura

A mechanism at the top of Torre Tavira giving a telescopic view of all parts of the city. No photos allowed. Hrmmph.
Cadiz Main BeachCadiz Main Beach
Cadiz Main Beach

Very popular place for cooling off.
The "Haiti" QuarterThe "Haiti" Quarter
The "Haiti" Quarter

This section of the original city was copied in the design of the city of Haiti, Cuba.
Know as CadizForniaKnow as CadizFornia
Know as CadizFornia

Recent additions to the city.


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb