A few days of fun!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Cádiz
August 6th 2009
Published: August 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Bus station SevillaBus station SevillaBus station Sevilla

mom wanted this picture for the shoes...this is for Jefferyeffery Riggs!

Amazing ocean city!



Well, yesterday was eventful. Mom and I went to the bus station in Sevilla to catch the bus....BUT, we had to wait about 4 hours before it came. As a result we stored our big bags in left luggage and went to view the park across from the bus station. Such a great time. We got to see fountains and the Plaza de España. If nothing else that was worth it. It is a huge half moon plaza and building, and on the building are many of the important cities and a picture in tile! So beautiful. I have to say, one of the sights to pay attention to in Sevilla is the tile.

When we show up in Jerez we have no idea where we are staying. It was about 5pm, in the heat of the day, and we just start walking. We walk to a hostal and ask for a room, they have none. She calls a fellow pension however and they had space. About 10 minutes later Orville from Brazil shows up and walks us to the pension. It is one of those, really? moments. We walk and walk...come to a house that
Plaza EspanaPlaza EspanaPlaza Espana

In seville. If you are able to zoom in any you can see some of the azulejo (ceramic work)
we know is going to cost 40euro...enter...walk up 3 flights of stairs passing an elegant dining room and living room...up to the roof where we get the blue room...a BEAUTIFUL room with AC and a bathroom for 40 euro!!! It is amazing!!

We chilled that evening. We went to the grocery store to get some supplies so we don´t have to eat out so much. Mom is very excited because we discovered if you find a little tienda you can get a bocadillo (basically a sub) with ham and cheese, a drink and chips for about 3euro! So, we are now on a save money while eating binge so we can see more things. It works.

Today, we went to the train station to catch a train to Cadiz for the day. So very much worth it!! Cadiz is one, if not the, oldest city in Europe. It was founded by the Phonecians. It is a beautiful old town. Colombus´second and fourth sailings sailed out of here. It has cute little streets, and though humid with the salt air, is much cooler than Sevilla or Granada.

We get to the train station in Cadiz and follow the
Plaza EspanaPlaza EspanaPlaza Espana

you can walk up and see this from one of the towers.
exit sign. Our first stop was the Roman Theater. It was only discovered n 1993 I believe when they were about to build a new building and found the remains. The great thing about Cadiz is there are a lot of free things to see that are well worth it!

From there we just followed the coast line (it is a big peninsula). We first went to the Castillo San Sebastian. You can´t go into the castle, but it has a long walk out in the water that is worth it. If you are coming to swim and beach it, i recommend this walk. There are plenty of places to stop and get some swimming in. Some of the locals were actually doing flips off the side. I soooo would have done it with my suit...screaming all the way!

From there we went to the Castilla Santa Catalina. It is sort of like St. Augustine, so that was neat t see. You get some beautiful views of the ocean. From there we went to the park Genoves. It is neat to walk around. There are wild parrots, interesting trees, and mom´s favorite...the fountains.

We then walked around
Teatro RomanoTeatro RomanoTeatro Romano

in Cadiz if you go before 230 you can see the ruins of an old Roman Theater. It was stumbled upon when they were about to do construction on a new building!
the city just soaking in the streets. They are beautiful. We ordered some cafe con leche con hielo. It is really neat...since it is hot, iced coffee = hot coffee so you can dissolve your sugar with a glass of ice. This has become a new favorite in the afternoon (especially if you don´t get a siesta in). We passed by the Plaza España here and some neat shops. It is kind of fun to just walk around.

We then made it to here...the internet cafe that is the cheapest yet...1.20euro an hour. We usually find about 2 and it is in sight of the train station. We will be heading out soon for our nice easy 50 minute train ride to our adorable pension. I wish I could remember the name...next time! I will publish a picture with it.

Cadiz is easy to walk around one day, but if you want beach time too you may need two. Jerez is cute. We didnt get to explore it much so we may be staying one more day.

Couple of things to be aware of: some pensiones only take cash, so have it handy...pensiones can sometimes be peoples
Teatro RomanoTeatro RomanoTeatro Romano

so neat...
homes that they rent rooms out to...it is so very much fun. Our current pension has staff that want to love on you! (It helps that we are two innocent females i am sure...)

Until next time...(computers are a little harder to find in non-university towns)


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Castillo San SebastianCastillo San Sebastian
Castillo San Sebastian

mom is getting trigger happy with the camera
Castillo San SebastianCastillo San Sebastian
Castillo San Sebastian

it is an awesome walk waywith locas jumping off and swimming! You can´t get to the castle, but it is fun nontheless
Castillo Santa CatalinaCastillo Santa Catalina
Castillo Santa Catalina

boats just park...the drivers hop out and swim.
Cadiz self portraitCadiz self portrait
Cadiz self portrait

the water is just gorgeous. This view is from the free Castilla de Santa Catalina
Cadiz - Castilla Santa CatalinaCadiz - Castilla Santa Catalina
Cadiz - Castilla Santa Catalina

look how mama gazes...
Parque del GenovesParque del Genoves
Parque del Genoves

sort of a neat little park. It isn´t very big. We saw gree parrots. Very neat to see them in the wild.
CadizCadiz
Cadiz

cute little street. Cadiz is filled with them.
CadizCadiz
Cadiz

this is a view from the bay of Cadiz
Plaza de EspanaPlaza de Espana
Plaza de Espana

unlike that of Sevilla, this just has a statue in honor of Cadiz.
Street in CadizStreet in Cadiz
Street in Cadiz

cute homes everywere
CadizCadiz
Cadiz

the water is gorgeous! you can spend a day swimming and a day touring.


7th August 2009

I love...
I love how refreshed you and your mama both look! How awesome is that!
9th August 2009

you are histerical. :)

Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb