¡Cortijo los Baños!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Almería
April 28th 2009
Published: April 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Main building with rainbowMain building with rainbowMain building with rainbow

This is the main building where they have sleeping dorms and a lot of double bed rooms for the visitors.
¡Hola chicos!

i finally got around to start my blog, i just wanted to write something about the life on the cortijo (farm) and the nice trips we make once in a while.

At first I found that it was a little bit difficult to get a grip of all the people and places that are here, there are a lot of people living and volunteering here, at the moment 22 persons and its always changing. two volunteers have left since i came and one arrived. plus my spanish is not good enough, so i dont understand everything thats being said. but its getting a little bit better every day!

right now im sharing room with rachel from the united states, iñaki from bask country and hugo from tenerife. everybody here are reeeaaalllyy great people!!

we work about five hours a day, today for example we were weeding, building a stone wall and picking broad beans. during the weekdays there are normally a large group of children somewhere between 3 and 9 years old, to be farmers for a day. they get to plant seeds, sing songs, learn about nature, touch the animals (they are kids from
Walk to Sunseeds and the springWalk to Sunseeds and the springWalk to Sunseeds and the spring

Some of the volunteers
the cities) and visit Trikys house. hes the dwarf of the farm (hustomte) who is taking care of the nature here. one day i got to help in one group of 4-year-olds, it was really nice to see how things are working, normally we do other work during the time the kids are here.

during the weekends the cortijo is arranging dance courses, so some days we have over 100 persons here! But its a quite big plac with so many little corners and rooms, that you can always find a little peace if you need to =) and not to forget are the countless parties we make, the spanish people know how to make fiestas! every occasion possible, if somebody is leaving, having a birthday. and when the moon is full they make a big bonfire and dance and sing, this happened just after i arrived, and it was very special. the sky is almost always clear so we can often enjoy the stars and the moon.

the afternoons are long, so theres plenty of time to make a siesta, read, play the guitar, sing songs, dance, go for walks and so on. yesterday we went for an excursion to a little village where they are trying to lead a sustainable life, having solar energy, growing their own vegetables with a special method for dry climates. we went for a walk in the beautiful surrounding landscape and went for a swim in the spring. the spanish people thoought it was cold but it must have been 18 or 19 degrees, it was such a wonderful spot!!

during the weekend i went to granada with iñaki, hugo and rachel. we stayed at iñakis brothers place. granada is a great city, very alternative and a big part is the old arabic town. we walked through the city and went to loads of cafes and bars. la alhambra is just next to the city and its a really powerful arabic palace on the side of the mountain, but we didnt enter. the people whos been say that you need at least a day to see all of it. so thatll have to be next time, because it feels like its a city to return to!

Thats a lot of positive words, the only thing i can complain about is that the ground is a little dry, even though
CavesCavesCaves

There are many caves in the area. yoyes and iñaki.
its been raining lots considering im in andalucia, and of course that time is flying...

take care my dear family and friends and enjoy life!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Stables and gardenStables and garden
Stables and garden

the stables and in front the small garden, lots of children running around!
Broad beans!Broad beans!
Broad beans!

Rachel and yoyes working hard =P


4th May 2009

Travelblog
Hello Pysster, Thank's for sharing your experiences. Very interesting. It seems you are doing well. I particulary liked the rose! Hugs dad

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb