Cabo de Gata, Spain.


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Almería
December 9th 2008
Published: December 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I am in Gabo de Gata park in South-East Spain.
It is considered to be the desertiest area of Europe, with the source coming from Africa.
The spaniards refer to it as la mierda de España.
I disagree. We are part of a community of young people who run a farm.
The farm is amazing - goats, pigs, dogs, cats, donkeys, chickens, geese, germans. So beautiful and a great community to live in. We have a garden that is STILL in december giving salads, tomatos and other deliciousness.
The sea is on the horizon and the mountains are all around. We see the Sierra Nevada, snow covered, from our roof.
And the seclusion! You never hear the cars and trucks, only the rooster crowing (all night, there are five terretorial males, and I haven´t felt more the urge to slaughter than now) and the moutons (sheep) baahing in the nearby valley.
We have solar pannels, well water, wind turbines. Sustainability is key.
And so is dumpster diving aka Recycling. We have a source of tomatos not good enough for market, and we get the not so nice foods from people. It is wretched to see just how much is wasted in cities.
So that is my life. The walk ended well, with a bottle of wine from La Rioja and a huge hitch through the desert. We walked a full three weeks from North to South.
Met many people and saw some cool things. Beachy fun and mountain mayhem.
Next time I take the 8k drive to Campo Hermoso (our nearest town) I will upload some pictures.
I hope you are having a festive season, and are warm and eating candy canes and other delicious treats for me. I miss you all!

Los Molinos de Bornos
(Adrian Hogendoorn)
04116
Fernán Perez-Nijar, España.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb