More Gibraltar


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Algeciras
May 19th 2008
Published: May 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

On the drive... On the drive... On the drive...

...to Gibraltar
Gibraltar

About an hour an a half down the coast from Malaga is Gibraltar. There are two main routes- one winds through some towns and takes a little longer; the other is a toll road (about7-8 Euros each way). One thing we have noticed while driving in Spain is that the signage on the roads is sometimes weak, at best. Gibraltar is a good example of this. One would expect that once in the general vicinity, the rock would be quite easy to locate (you can’t miss it). Not true from the highway….even less true once you take the correct exit. And don’t even ask about once you have crossed through customs from Spain into Gibraltar….Again, you would think it would be fairly obvious which way to go. Long story short, after many winding roads, turn- arounds and swears, we made it to the base area where the cable cars that take you up the rock are located.

While we were waiting to purchase tickets, we were approached by an extremely nice British lad (as they would say here), who advised us that he would take us on a tour to all the sites on the rock, via a van, for approximately the same fee. In addition, we would shave about an hour and a half off the time spent there. We decided it made sense to take the van tour, and all agreed that it was clearly the best way to see the sights.

The first stop brings you to a point where you can get out, and see AFRICA!!! Only 7 kms away. We were tempted to take the ferry across (1/2 hour ride or so), but decided you really needed more than just a few hours to make it worth the while. Also at the first stop were the Pillars of Hercules, and the monkeys that live on the rock.

The second stop was at St Michael's Caves. If you have ever been to Howe Caverns in upstate NY, you will already understand what these caverns are like. If not, you have to imagine huge vaulted cave areas within the rock-cold, damp, and fascinating.

Other stops included the Great Siege Tunnels and the highest point on the peak accessible to non-military persons. Once again, the monkeys were there stealing the show.

About the monkeys- the government feeds the monkeys, to keep them
AirportAirportAirport

Plane crossing walkway/road in Gibraltar
from wandering into houses and shops. They ask that you do not feed or touch them, as over socialization with people was leading to a breakdown within the 5 clans of monkeys that live there.




Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

FountainFountain
Fountain

Girls in fountain at base of rock
CaveCave
Cave

St Michaels Cave
Monkey viewMonkey view
Monkey view

Africa is behind the monkey on the left side of the photo- Spain is on the right,
lunchlunch
lunch

A monkey having lunch, which is provided by the government
FootFoot
Foot

Lynn wanted to show she was on Gibraltar (?)
FlowersFlowers
Flowers

On the rock
LynnLynn
Lynn

Pretending to pet the monkey-they ask you don't touch them.


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb