Slovenia


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola
August 28th 2008
Published: September 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The 3 day whirlwind trip of Slovenia started in a little place called Piran, which we had read about in the lonely planet and as it was on our way to Ljubljana we decided to stop off for the morning. It is a tiny little sea side resort town and was very hot when we got there. It has an old church on the top of a hill over looking the sea and a very impressive square that is the heart of the town.

From here we headed for Ljubljana only for Anna to discover that we were going to go past the most visited caves in Europe, the Postojnska Jama caves. The caves are about 25km long and had been made into a huge tourist attraction, including a tourist train that they had placed in the middle, which they use to ferry you to the stalactites and stalagmites. From here you get a 45min guided tour of another 2km of caves including three galleries all with different names. There was the spaghetti because the stalactites are so small and look like spaghetti, the red and the black named because of their colour. They then ship you back to the surface on the train.

After a long day we arrived in Ljubljana and discovered that it was pumping with music stages everywhere, Ljubljana has an open air festival there every year which last for about two months and we had caught the end of it. So after spending the night having dinner and catching a few concerts we headed to bed.

The next day we went on a self guided walking tour around the city, which had found on one of the city maps. This included a trip to the castle which over looked the city from the hilltop, a walk along the river to check out the triple bridge and the dragon bridge and final a stop in the central park. We found Ljubljana to be a very pretty place however the people were very short and not that welcoming.

The final day in Slovenia we headed to Lake Bled for a look around one of the worlds most beautiful lakes. It has a castle on the hill over looking the lake and a church on an island in the middle which you can hire boats and row out to. We had a quick walk around the lake, a row out to the middle and a look around the castle before we headed back on the road again bound for Austria


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb