Swift water in Brataslava


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia
October 24th 2014
Published: October 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

After going through our first lock and arriving in port at Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia, it took our very able Captain 15 mins to fight a river in flood to dock safely. He said that for the first time in 5 years he had to throw out the anchor, have the ship at full throttle yet could only make 3 knots. Impressive.

This morning we toured the old part of the city by bus and on foot - again, impressive fortifications and old buildings. We are docked near the newish bridge known as the UFO bridge because of a round saucer-like restaurant on the top of one of the bridge spans. A large separate walking deck is under the roadway.

We are impressed with the humour of people we have met in both Hungary and Slovakia - the guides, the drivers and the staff on board. They are absolute delights. You will see one of the pix from the old town - a workman in bronze appearing from a manhole...the perfect position from which to admire women's legs!

After lunch Su went to the gym and completed a few kms of fast-walking; Dick worked on phone apps; Terry and Lynette re-visted the town and bought some local dessert wine.

After yet another sumptuous dinner there was a beer tasting followed by a brilliant musical group who presented an hour of well arranged popular tunes.

Outside the windows the Danube was flowing very swiftly - in fact the river has been closed ahead of us because of flooding so tomorrow we bus to Vienna for the day and hope the ship will catch us up in the afternoon when waters recede.

We continue to be very impressed with Avalon staff - every one of them polite, happy to help, and exceedingly well trained.

Once again, enjoy the pix


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Szentendre means Saint AndrewsSzentendre means Saint Andrews
Szentendre means Saint Andrews

Just outside Budapest, an very old town with Roman remains still being uncovered. Szentendre just rolls off the tongue - maybe the new manager at our St Andrews home in Dunedin, Lynley Chirnside, would let me call it this in future.


25th October 2014

In spirit
Really enjoying traveling with you on this great adventure
25th October 2014

In spirit
Really enjoying traveling with you on this great adventure
25th October 2014

In spirit
Really enjoying traveling with you on this great adventure

Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb