Krakow, Poland - Zakopane, Poland - Novy Smokovec, Slovakia


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Presov Region » Nový Smokovec
July 5th 2012
Published: July 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We traveled today; therefore, this entry will be relatively short (or not). We took a cab to the local bus station from our hostel in Krakow. Upon arrival at the bus station, we purchased cheese croissants from a local old lady to satisfy our hunger until we arrived in Zakopane, which was our transfer city to Novy Smokovec, Slovakia. That said we did not know when the bus departed from Krakow. However, after the purchase of our cheese croissants – a necessity – we learned that we made it to the bus right on time.

The 2-hour ride to Zakopane was a pleasure. The scenery was stunning and the local communities are far removed from the rush of modernity. As we headed south from Krakow the terrain transitioned from rolling hills to mountainous regions. Upon arrival in Zakopane we began to search for a bus to Poprad, Slovakia, from which we would take a train to our hostel in Novy Smokovec. After searching the station in Zakopane for some information, we notice a sign that informed us that the bus to Poprad would depart at 15:15 PM (e.g., 3:15 PM).

Zakopane is one of the main vacation destinations for individuals wanting to enjoy the “great outdoors” and the Tatra Mountains on the Polish side. Therefore, we headed to the city center to find lunch. We had an excellent meal at a Polish restaurant in the center of Zakopane. While enjoying our lunch – see pictures – a thunderstorm came through and entertained us for some time. After spending more than 2 hours at the restaurant we decided to make our way back to the bus station. Upon arrival, Sara noticed that we failed to understand the various departure times based upon season. Instead of a 15:15 PM departure (winter months), we were on a 16:15 PM (4:15 PM) departure that runs in the summer.

Needless to say, we were there on time and boarded the bus for Poprad, Slovakia. Little did we know we were not to go to Poprad. After several stops in Poland and a few in Slovakia, I noticed that the current stop in Slovakia sounded familiar – Stary Smokovec (city next to Novy Smokovec). Sara took the information to the bus driver and asked if this is where we were to get off. He nodded; we got off; took our bags; and we began our next journey of the day. Other than an address, which we did not understand, we did not know where to go. We looked at a local map and charted our way. After some time walking, we finally made it to our hostel in Novy Smokovec, Slovakia (i.e., Pension Gabriel).

We had a fabulous dinner at a local cafeteria – bistro in Slovakia. We did not know what we were ordering, but it turned our to be great food. Tomorrow we are planning a hike in the Tatra Mountains.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



7th July 2012

Dad and your climbing
I love the maps u put on the blog. So helpful. The food pictures are also grand. I am so proud of you Sara. You represent we women well my dear!!!! What a wonderful bond for you and Zach to share together. Got email from Dad sent to your gmail if you can get. He is right where he has wanted to be for years. It is a great work and is in the heart of poverty and hardship that you have to see. Sara saw it. The soccer balls r great. He said he needs 1000 more. He will preach tomorrow Sunday in church. Love to you and I pray daily for you and read my Jesus Calling

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb