Chilling in Slovakia


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Presov Region » High Tatras
May 3rd 2006
Saved: July 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Spisky Nova VesSpisky Nova VesSpisky Nova Ves

Communist style buildings contrasting the pleasant countryside next to Slavensky Raj National Park.
Not much to say in this entry since I did a lot of relaxing and exploring of Eastern Slovakia with its many small cities and villages. Basically, I went from Hungary north into Slovakia's second largest city (but still small) called Kosice. From there I checked out Slovansky Raj National Park and a heritage town called Levoce. Did some hiking in the national park and checked out some musuems. Then, I spent a couple days in the High Tatras and small resort towns called Stary Smokevec and Horny Smokevec....and some more hiking. The scenery and mountain air were great, check the photos!

The food has been great here with lots of knedle (small dough dumplings), garlic soup, sausages, and pork cutlets...all washed down with realy good and cheap Slovak beer.

On my way to the Czech Republic this evening and lookign forward to spending several days in Prague, which I hear from everyone is very good.

Dovidenia, for now!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom

Metalic SculpturesMetalic Sculptures
Metalic Sculptures

From the Technical Musuem in Kosice featuring exhibits on the history of some modern technologies.
Cathedral and ChapelCathedral and Chapel
Cathedral and Chapel

In the main square of the old town centre of Kosice.
Spissky HradSpissky Hrad
Spissky Hrad

Old rock castle on the way to Levoce.
Levoce CentreLevoce Centre
Levoce Centre

Town Hall and Museum in the nicely restored old town centre.
Cage of ShameCage of Shame
Cage of Shame

Where the bad people went so that the towns people could laugh and mock them...good thing GF never had one of these!!
Last SupperLast Supper
Last Supper

Icons and sculptures found in a museum in Levoce. The museum lady also showed a film on the history of the town.
Sketchy Hiking PlatformsSketchy Hiking Platforms
Sketchy Hiking Platforms

Metal platforms loosely secured to the rocks above the river in Slovensky Raj NP.
Stone BridgeStone Bridge
Stone Bridge

Slovensky Raj National Park
Slovakian CountrysideSlovakian Countryside
Slovakian Countryside

View from Slovensky Raj NP looking at some of the adjacent villages.
Slovensky Raj NPSlovensky Raj NP
Slovensky Raj NP

Another view in the park where I spent several hours hiking around all sorts of trails.
Joanna and JanJoanna and Jan
Joanna and Jan

Friendly Polish people that I met while hiking in the High Tatras. The Chalet in the background is one of the oldest in Europe.
High TatrasHigh Tatras
High Tatras

The weather wasn't perfect but the fresh mountain air was great and the small resort towns fun to explore.


Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.042s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb