Visiting Mor-Another Travel Day


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Bratislava Region » Bratislava
April 25th 2006
Published: April 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our day began with Mor—that’s is the name of the village in Hungary where we went today. Well we did start the day tying up loose ends. We videoed the drive into Mana…About 3 times, because we kept messing up, then Nagy would say something comical, and I kept having to contort myself in the car to get bizarre shots with the camera. Eventually we couldn’t compose ourselves anymore and we laughed hysterically for a few minutes—it is all on tape--so we are thinking about adding bloopers at the end our documentary. We also stopped by the manor house to walk the grounds and get a few more stories out of Nagy. I loved seeing the tree with a huge hole in its trunk—which was a hiding place for Nagy and Sulu when they were young girls playing in the yard.

Unfortunately we were unable to meet with Anna—the 95 year old woman who worked at the manor as cook and, on our last trip, remembered Nagy from so many years ago. She is still alive and quite sharp, Peter has told us, but she was out of town.

After a 21/2 hour drive we arrived in Mor—the location of Nagy’s Great-Grandfather’s hunting lodge. All we had was a picture and a fuzzy one at that, so we tried a few city buildings, but everything was closing and we were sent away. Not to be discouraged we hunted through the historical pictures displayed on the wall in the agricultural building. Lo and Behold we found a picture that looked somewhat like the picture that we had! A cleaning lady walked by and confirmed our thoughts—then she gave us directions!! We were on our way.

Quickly we jumped back in the car and headed down the road. The house was exactly where the lady described. It is in an appalling state of disrepair, and it seems it has been divided into many different dwellings; but people do live there. We pulled out A-ma’s (Nagy’s Mother) sketch of the grounds and our pictures of the courtyard and facade. The roof lines, cellar door, windows, stream, and barn buildings all seemed to correspond! We were sure this was the place. Afterwards we photographed the building, including one of Nagy in the exact same spot where her great-grandfather stood 120 years ago when his picture was taken. Success!!

As we left the town to head back to Budapest, we happened upon a pub/restaurant that doubles as a riding school—What fun!! Nagy said that she wanted to stop for a “nice glass of whatever,” J so we stopped for a celebratory glass of wine. We are all in a euphoric state after the excitement of these past few days and so our behavior as a group is bordering on senseless. When Nagy says the name of a city (like Szekefehefivar) we all chirp our own interpretation of the pronunciation and collapse in giggles. I am having so much fun with my family.

Tomorrow we will be in Pest. There we will visit Nagy’s former apartments, school, parks, and sites that Nagy remembers spending time at when she was growing up.





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



26th April 2006

More wonderful still!
It sounds like things have gone so well. Now I wish I had gone! I am so glad that you have been able to do so much and learn so much. And it sounds like you are having a very giggling good time as well! Love, John

Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb