Slovakia - Bratislava


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Bratislava Region » Bratislava
October 20th 2008
Published: October 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sun 12th Oct
Vienna - Slovakia - Hungry

Sunday was a mad driving day because we went through 3 countries!!!
In the morning, exhausted from lack of sleep we left Vienna and headed to the capital city of Slovakia - Bratislava. It turned out to the biggest surprise. The outer suburbs’ were exactly what I’d imagine, slightly dirty and run down but the city centre was a lovely surprise. The architecture was so similar to that of Vienna but on a smaller scale and less touristy. While saying that, there were heaps of tourists!!

Bratislava had lots of little street and cute restaurants but we were surprised at how expensive it was.

There were quirky bronze statues casually placed around the town. We found The Watcher, the Frenchmen and the Photographer. Each were found somewhere around the town, the watcher hid in the ground and looked as though he was coming out of a manhole, the photographer stood on the sidewalk and took photos of people. The kids took heaps of photos next to these statues.

We walked and tried to get into the Museum of Jewish Culture, (it was closed for repairs!) and into the Clock Museum, (changed our minds!) in the end we sent my Dad off to the Museum of Weapons. Meanwhile we raced around looking at stalls and shops.

Later we saw Bratislava by evening and like all towns that are lit up, it was lovely.
We walked around to a traditional Bratislavan’s pub and ate a traditional meal. My Dad probably made a mistake and ordered rare rump and chips which were cooked badly. We warned him not to order something like that in Slovakia!!Whereas the rest of us ordered traditional meals; the food was great and tasty but we struggled to see the damn menu due to see the poor lighting. We checked out the menu during dusk and we struggled but the people next to us came later and they had to use their mobile light to see the menu!!!! Katelyn’s meal was the best and the one that we all tasted the most!!

The walk back to the car was long and I was a bit nervous because there were so many young people around and the fog had started to settle. In the end the motor home was where we left it and we drove off into the night….



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb