Bratislava


Advertisement
Slovakia's flag
Europe » Slovakia » Bratislava Region » Bratislava
June 9th 2008
Published: June 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bratislava CastleBratislava CastleBratislava Castle

A view of the castle from the parilament building.
Sylvia's dad drove Joyce, Sylvia, and I to Bratislava for the day while he was in meetings. We spent the day walking around the Old Town. We started at the President's palace and took a bus up to the hill where the castle is located. Unfortunately it is being remodeled (it was burned in the 1800s and has never been fully restored). We walked down from the castle to the original part of Bratislava and saw the original square. The highlight of the day was St. Martin's Cathedral, which was the location of many famous Hungarian coronations, including Maximillian II and Maria Theresa. It is funny that in two days, we have visited the only two examples of gothic church architecture in Slovakia, as the other is located in Kosice.
We ate a lunch of fried cheese, which is a typical Slovak food, along the street in the old town before heading home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

St. Martin's cryptSt. Martin's crypt
St. Martin's crypt

A crypt containing Hungarian royalty as well as archbishops from the region. It also contains J. I. Bajza, the author of the first Slovak-language novel.
LunchLunch
Lunch

A nice restaurant in the Old town .
St. Martin's CathedralSt. Martin's Cathedral
St. Martin's Cathedral

The second gothic cathedral in Slovakia and site of Maria Theresa's coronation.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb