Smoking for your health?


Advertisement
Europe » Serbia » West » Belgrade
October 7th 2006
Published: October 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Belgrade is smoky... Its the last bastion of political incorrectness in a world of micro-anti-viral same-ness... I have a theory why they smoke though... Its very clever (thank you, thank you...) it's to prevent lead poisoning. Yes, thats right. You see the traffic is so damn congested and hazardessly toxic-fume enhanced, that by reducing their lung capacities with smoking it reduces their exposure to the traffic fumes. I could be wrong though, maybe its just they enjoy the double entendre of asking someone if they want to smoke? (do you remember the Hugh Grant incident???)

Actually its not so bad, and Cairo smog was worse... but the traffic has increased in the last three years ...

People are smiling more and I believe I've already mentioned its generally cleaner. You get the roadside rubbish dumping outside the city near Avala, but less than before and people are starting to realise its not a good way to dispose of rubbish...

Art is back in a big way, if it ever left and the city is full of exhibitions (both formal and impromptue) and theate etc...

Being here on business I'm not gettin to "tour" as such, but am carrying the camera everywhere and maybe the photos show things better than i could say anyway.

I can't understand why more tourists aren't here, but really enjoy the fact they aren't as well. Belgraders have never stopped being proud of their city, and rightfully so, but now they are less self-conscious again about stating it, and are undertaking the work of beautifying and restoring her to her former glory. Its an arduous task, but its great to see it started...

These pics are from the city, my trip to the family home in Avala, and a Sunday morning stroll around the market...






Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Kneza MihailovaKneza Mihailova
Kneza Mihailova

By day or night - always full
Smoko...Smoko...
Smoko...

Woman takes break from selling corn dollies
Waiters for the "Little Bay" restaurantWaiters for the "Little Bay" restaurant
Waiters for the "Little Bay" restaurant

Grab a meal and an aria or two - local opera restaurant!


10th October 2006

Blessed
Bon you must feel so blessed to be able to travel like this. Appart from the smog which you mentioned the pictures make it look beautiful enjoy yourself. Love Kez.
26th November 2008

Beograd
Hi,I just bumped in to this site and saw pictures of my home town :) so, I felt like commenting and saying thank u for representing Beograd and it s beauty :) Hvala :)))
5th April 2009

Belgrade
Hi Dunja Thanks for your kind comments. I love Belgrade which is my adopted "second home" as my husband is from there... Keep an eye out for more posts later this year as we are returning to Belgrade again in August... Do vidjenje

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb