Day 3 - Attila the Sex Machine


Advertisement
Europe » Serbia » West » Belgrade
February 9th 2009
Published: February 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Belgrade is the capital and largest city of Serbia, lying on the confluence of the Sava and Danube Rivers. They say that it's the New York City of the Balkans -- the bustling center of art and culture east of Paris. Sounds like paradise, no? Yeah, well, it would have been if it weren't deathly cold today. My body is so going to hate me tomorrow when I manage to contract both pneumonia and hypothermia at the same time.

But at least we saw some really cool things -- like this watermelon bench! Don't it look peachy keen? And you say that Serbs have no sense of humor.

While the Danube didn't flow directly through Belgrade, its tributary did (the Sava). Haha, this reminds me of my last trip to Europe where we literally ran into the Danube 3 cities in a row. Fabulous. That damned thing never ends.

We walked along the promenade that lined the Sava and wandered in and out of a random assortment of shops, cafes, and bars. There was even some Buddhist Zen-inspired furniture store (think of a classier Asian version of Pier 1 Imports XD) called Wabi-Sabi (loosely translated as Simplicity). Haha.
graffitigraffitigraffiti

old school Belgrade
How random.

And then there was this fortress, the Kalemegdan ("castle square" in Turkish), left over from the early days of this region. The Celts, Romans, Goths, Huns, and the Turks have inhabited the thing since the 3rd c. BC. Geez, talk about longevity. Rumor is also that Attila the Hun was buried under this fortress (after he died in the throes of orgasm).

Sometime afterwards we payed our respects as atheists in an Orthodox Christian Church downtown. God, we were so horrible.

The rest of the night was spent wandering around Ulica knez Mihailova (Prince Michael Street), the largest pedestrian street in Belgrade, chock full of places to eat, drink, and shop. MmmMmm, creature comforts.

More to come very soon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Watermelon bench!Watermelon bench!
Watermelon bench!

We found this little gem in the park...too bad the awful weather made it too scummy to sit on.
Sava River Bridge...againSava River Bridge...again
Sava River Bridge...again

another look at the riverside. cheery atmosphere, no?
KalemegdanKalemegdan
Kalemegdan

The ancient fortress that is still standing after centuries of BAD COLD WEATHER :P
Orthodox churchOrthodox church
Orthodox church

candlelight dinner, anyone?


16th February 2009

dude
Dude- so you run off to Europe without telling us anything? Loose car, loose. Why are you over there even???
18th February 2009

NATALIE. I haven't talked to you for a long time, that's why! hmph. This is what you get for not talking to me for months at a time: I run off to EUROPE. lol. and don't call me loose, woman!!
18th February 2009

Hey! I've talked you a decent amount since I went back to school! And you still didn't answer my question xP
20th February 2009

hmph. decent. lol! I'm working/volunteering in Montenegro in a youth suicide prevention program!! come visit me! :)))) how are you?

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb