Serbia.....Novak Djokovic Country!


Advertisement
Europe » Serbia » South » Kopaonik
May 14th 2016
Published: May 14th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Smooth riding on Serbian Roads...Smooth riding on Serbian Roads...Smooth riding on Serbian Roads...

Great switch-backs and hair-pin corners make riding exhilarating.
Our time in Serbia has continued our European History 101 course......so many interesting places to visit, and so much to learn. Being immersed in a culture that has been shaped by so many different variables; religion, politics, etc, over thousands of years is not only fascinating but also a massive learning curve for two relatively naive Kiwis. We are learning so much more than we ever imagined possible before leaving our far flung shores. If I had my time again as a parent of young children, I would choose education out side the classroom and travel with them..........

Not only does Rozle have a passion for motorbikes and riding, he is also a great historian. His knowledge and love for this region knows no bounds, and his stories are always captivating. In Belgrade, we visited the museum established to commemorate Tito, and his contribution to Yugoslavian and World politics. It is also the site of his tomb and that of his fourth wife. He, and his achievements are becoming more revered by some of the people of Serbia, as time goes by. Ask me one day, to tell you the story about Rozle, Hector, and Tito's writing desk....I won't record it here, for fear of recrimination!

After leaving Belgrade we headed for Kopaonik, a popular Serbian ski resort. For our regular early morning coffee stop we paused at Topola, a small town where the St George Church, built between 1910 and 1930, is located. It is the burial place of the Royal Family of Serbia and Yugoslavia. The interior is richly decorated in mosaics, completed by a German and Italian artist, plus many helpers I'm sure, over twenty years. Simply stunning is an understatement.

We also visited Studenica Monastery, a 12th century Serbian Orthodox monastery founded in 1190. The monastery's fortified walls encompass two churches, both of which were built using white marble. Beautiful. The monastery is best known for its collection of 13th and 14th century Byzantine-style fresco paintings. It was placed on the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 1986. The blue pigment, Lapis Lazurite, sourced from Afghanistan, used in the frescoes, was as valuable as gold when they were created. Amazing!! The frescoes suffered smoke damage when burned during one of the Turkish invasions, and attempts to restore them have sadly been far from successful. They are a work in progress.......

No photos
No cameras allowed...Ooops! No cameras allowed...Ooops! No cameras allowed...Ooops!

Another stunning mosaic in Oplenac,Topola.
in many of these churches is the rule of thumb....but sneaky tourists disobey the rules occasionally!! As one of the members of our group said, "It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission!" Or else plead ignorance!

As we continued on our way, we passed through the numerous small villages which dot the countryside, stopping at one of them to enjoy delicious spit-roasted pork. The Serbian people are also closely connected to the land, and are farmers, orchardists, fruit and vegetable growers.....beautiful fresh produce is for sale along the roadsides at every turn. They also make a living in a myriad of ways from the forests....lowland consists predominantly of oaks, chestnuts, birch, beech and walnut while the more mountainous forests are predominantly conifer. Along one particular section of our journey we stopped to photograph kilns smoking on the roadside. Within them, fires burn and create charcoal for use on the many grills used to roast the meat, consumed in great quantities by the Serbians. We thought Kiwis were real meat-lovers, but these people have us well and truly beat!!

Our day finished on a wonderful high when we were greeted at our accommodation by two beautiful Serbian girls dressed in traditional Serbian dress. They offered us fresh bread, and a shot of schnapps. After dinner, Gordan, our support crew who is a famous Serbian musician, entertained us with traditional Yugoslavian songs....a fabulous finish to yet another exceptional day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Ancient Frescoes.....Ancient Frescoes.....
Ancient Frescoes.....

No photos again....Ooops! Naughty Jill!
Studenica Monastery Studenica Monastery
Studenica Monastery

Ancient frescoes were fascinating.
A traditional Serbian welcome. A traditional Serbian welcome.
A traditional Serbian welcome.

What an end to a wonderful day!


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb