Palace of gold


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia
July 13th 2009
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 59.939, 30.3158

Off the boat first thing in the morning and driven out of St.Petersburg to Peterhof Palace. Sumptious interiors with gold plus plus. We were out in the garden by 11am at which time classical music starts and the fountains are switched on. None of the many fountains are powered by electricity- it is all done by water from the hills and gravity as it has been for many years. There are a few traps for the unwary when water will suddenly spout out of the ground and drench those not looking where they are going. Back to St.Petersburg by hydrofoil from the jetty at the end of the palace garden. We refused to go to the local Russian restaurant and demanded to be taken back to the ship where are beautiful lunch with wine was waiting. Unfortunately this meant we didnt have as much time in the Hermitage as we would have liked . We saw the old European masters- Rubens, Leonardo etc and several Impressionists then we were taken on a tour of the gold room, which was not as exciting as it sounds. -mainly roman and byzantine gold items. As the museum had originally been Catherines winter palace it was good to go through the palace rooms- exquisite floors and ceilings. It woukd take a few days to see more of the art we like but time was short and we had to get back to the ship. Will definitely return.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.516s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 13; qc: 40; dbt: 0.1576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb