Swimming to Russia With Bicycles


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Siberia » Barnaul
July 11th 2009
Published: July 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Definitions: gol -mongolian for river, nuur -Mongolian for lake, aimag -a mongolian state or province, asalam aleykhem -Kazakh for peace be with you.

The Bohmoron Gol drains several lakes high in the boundary ranges which seperate Russia from Mongolia. It then flows through a large, wide (50 km +), rocky valley rimmed with 4000 m + peaks before dumping heavily turbid water into broad, shallow Achit Nuur. Along this course, the river devides Uvs aimag to the northeast from Bayan-Olgii aimag, the western most political division in the country. In dividing the two aimags, the mighty Bohmoron also divides two distinctly different cultures. On the Uvs side, the virtually plantless, rocky plains are occupied by a mostly Kalkh Mongol population, who ethnically make up roughly 90 percent of all Mongolian citizens. Two days drive over high, rough passes from the aimag center in Ulaangom, these particular people are some of the most isolated we encountered. Just across the river, trucks run several times daily to the aimag center in Olgii but the bridgeless Bohmoron gol puts a distinct scism between them and this link to civilization. On this (the western) side of the gol, the people are distinctly members of the Mongolian Kazakh minority. Here the gers are taller, with curved rafters and steeper roofs, many people are lightly complected and they respond kindly to the words "asalam aleykhem". The Kazakhs are nominally Islamic and are descendants of Central Asian nomads who made their way here in the days before modernization drew borders on the land. In fact, nomadic Kazakhs in this region were allowed to cross the mountains (and therefore the national borders between Russia, China, Kazakhstan, and Mongolia), freely, untill the late 1940's.
For several days we heard stories of the raging Bohmoron gol and it's freezing, chest-deep waters. We did not write these warnings off but we took them, as we take much (often exagerated) local advice, with a grain of salt...maybe two grains. We knew that we would have to cross it somewhere or take a very long detour around Achit Nuur and through the town of Olgii. Additionally, we were privy to several people in the small village of Bohmoron who might be able to provide horses for the crossing. This was the backup plan at best as we have frequently found "help" rather unhelpful in such regions and did not care to spend days trying to motivate assistants (who probably could not so much as swim themselves) to help us cross a river.
The approach to the river through the wide, rockstrewn valley was hellish to say the least and we managed to destroy yet another tire in the traverse of roads so covered with rocks that we were left with only two choices: push like turtles or ride like hell. We rode like hell; damned be the consequences. A reprieve from the roads was the beautiful scenery. All around us stood massive, glaciated peaks rising sharply out of the Marsian landscape. These were still covered with a substantial amount of seasonal snow which, along with the steady rains which fell every afternoon of our approach, told a forboding tale about the river crossing to come.
When at last we arrived at the banks of the Bohmoron we were quickly informed of its formadibility as an obstacle by the meter high standing waves which rose up out of the main channel where the seasonal road comes to an end. Several motorbike tracks ran upstream and we followed these to a more braided area where we could take stock of our possibilities. Even at the most braided, shallow point the river was quite a swiftly moving torent. The chocolate brown color of the water, along with the several bank collapses which occured as we watched were evidence that this was a river at flood stage. Careless decisions regarding river crossings have taken many great adventurers from the ranks of the outdoor community. In remote areas the severity of the consequences goes up a notch and we knew that we needed to approach with direction and tact. After a review of the basics of river crossing/rescue techniques we devised a plan, a backup plan, and a backup to the backup plan, intimately aware of how fast things go wrong when they go wrong in a raging torent of water. First one of us made the crossing with a support and a dry bag filled with bedding and electronics. This was shakey but succesful and we refilled the drybag with other delicate items and strapped it to a bike. Initially we thoughgt we would make many crossings with gear, then take the bikes. Given the depth of the water in what would inevitably be the washout zone, we elected to keep all bags attached as they are waterproof and would hopefuly act as floats when things got deep. We worked together on the upstream side of a heavily loaded touring bike. In the first few sections of the channel the weight of the bike sank it's wheels to the bottom and made it a reasonable support against a current of several thousand cubic feet per second. When we reached the last island of safety, we braced for a moments collection and watched a midsized tree roll by. We knew that we were going to take a swim and had readied a retaining leash in case we had to abandon bike, get to shore, and haul collectively. After advancing about ten meters into the final channel it was clear that we were going to get washed away into deeper waters. Rather than fight it, we let the bike float and began to swim like otters with the contraption on our bellies downstream from us. It floated better than we expected and soon we were able to kick to shore, find a depression in the bank, and "eddy out"! One of us climbed ashore and hoisted while the other pushed from the water and soon we were all on terra firma feeling elatedly satisfied with our success. The second bike came across in the same fashion, leaving us feeling triumphant and, as is often the case in such situations, completely humbled by the power of the physical world around us. A motorcycle had attempted a similar crossing and had drained it's waterlogged moter oil on the bank nearby. Near the oil stain were several hand rolled kretiks; waterlogged, disgarded, and redried in the midday sun. We happily smoked them with our lunch.
The days that followed brought big passes, rocky valleys, and nomads on the move to higher summer pastures. We felt empowered by our experiences and rode strong through our final Mongolian hours. After weeks of crossing physical barriers, at last the time came for us to cross a political one. We had heard the stories of endless regulations at the Russian Border and were not surprised when a young soldier behind a red gate informed us that we could not ride the first (24 km) stretch into the federation but would have to wait for a vehicle on which to ride to the official border post. The soldier was cordial and we were relieved to hear a foreign language that we could actually understand. Soon a jeep full of Kazakhs pulled up and offered us a ride for a small fee. We were overjoyed as many a cyclist has relayed tales of paying hundreds of dollars for this ride. Just as we shook hands with the driver (sealing the deal) another driver pulled up and informed us that it would cost one hundred dollars a person. When our friendly driver told him what we were paying he was distraught but could do nothing. The deal was sealed. We told him (satisfyingly in Russian) to stop trying to rip us off. Our driver was extremely helpful at the border post and helped us through many a hilarious beaurocratic process that even those who administrate them probably don't understand. A woman with purple and white hair took our temperatures with a food grade thermometer, a nervous, sweaty man whose typing skills did not bode well with his job of data entry pretended to look at our bags (full of metal objects and medical equiptment) on an x-ray screen, and into Russia we came. An hour later we were eating salads, chased by a half kilo of ice cream, chased by a cup of spiced vodka. Then we began our ride, on good pavement, back into the developing world. It was like a powder day. The next morning, in a clean little pension in Koch Agach, we took our first hot showers in nearly a month.
The week that followed brought us steadily down from the mountains of the lovely Altai to the massive plains of south-central Siberia. Along the way we enjoyed the pavement, the ice cream, the wild berries, the pavement, the good Russian food, the pavement, fresh spring water by the roadside, the pavement, the pavement, and the pavement! The weather has been hot and humid and we sleep every night in a pile of sweat and soggy down but we are tired enough to pass out none the less. Then we get up and ride another long, smooth day. Currently we are in Barnaul, which feels like New York, and we are staging up for our next leg which will give us another taste of a less developed world in Kazakhstan. We have found new tires here to replace our sorry, booted treads as well as cappuccinos to revive our soggy, sun-warped heads. The next stage promises to be a hammer fest as the land is flat, the pavement smooth and the shores of the Black Sea far. Fueled by Kabobs and excellent bread, we will sweat it out in the vast steppe of what is essentially Russian Kansas. If we are furtunate, it will rain often and the sky will be filled with clouds.


Advertisement



11th July 2009

wow, you two are absolutely amazing!
11th July 2009

Back in tahoe for just a short while
I don't know if I have words to describe what a life changing experience you guys are going through! I think about you often. I just got back to Tahoe from Haines last night. You are right, I caught the bug! Nothing too hardcore, but incredible people, amazing sights and record breaking weather. It only rained twice while I was there for four weeks! You could see all of the peaks around for miles almost everyday. It was in the 90's last week! I went out on a five day sea kayak with Caleb and some AMG clients which was wonderful! The land of the midnight sun has planted a happy little seed, and taken a lot of my sleep with it! Now I'm off to finish up class and graduate from teacher training in three weeks! Miss you both! All my best! Samantha
12th July 2009

Forza, Forza!
Chad, Allison, I am in awe of all your new experiences, you meet a problem and you solve it (rraging river crossing). When we didn't hear from you for a while, I was afraid and now I read with joy that each challenge becomes a new triumph, more power to you. Art hopes you plan to write a travel book for all of us folks, who will never get there in person but we are with you in spirit. All we did were a few century bike rides including the "Tour de Manure" with good food afterwards and we think we have done something great, ha! Good thoughts travel your way, looking forward to your next blog, stay healthy, Helga
13th July 2009

INCREDIBLE!
That's a great entry, wish I could have been there to see that crossing, glad you guys made it in more-or-less one piece with no equipment loss/damage. I hope your future river crossings are enabled by BRIDGES! That story reminds me of the American pioneers; as they traveled west in their wagon trains the number one cause of death was from drowning during river crossings, number two was accidental gun shots. You guys really lucked-out on the border crossing, that's cool that you're meeting some friendly folks just about everywhere you go it seems; no little black beggars screaming and throwing rocks at you like in Africa. I bet the hot showers and civilized food were greatly appreciated, no more mutton for a while anyway? I hope you find many more paved roads, coffee shops and cloud cover in Kazakhstan. Happy Trails, Ric
13th July 2009

Glad you're our political envoys!
Damn, I thought our 40 mile Downieville ride was an adventure, make us feel like a bunch of wimps If we'd only added a non-bridge crossing of the Yuba....we'd be almost there. ; ) I'm glad to now be able to imagine you guys flying over pavement instead of slogging through sand and dirt. I think of the two of you every time I swing my leg over the bike. Keep the great stories and experiences coming, hopefully we'll be hearing from you more that you're in "civilization", and thanks for bringing a positive American experience to all those people you're coming into contact with. You guys are awesome!! I can only imagine the amazing things you will see as you're rolling through Russia! Onward to the Black Sea! Asalam Aleykhem! PS - Can't believe that I just wrote the check for our Nordic Passes for next season. We'll be skiing in less than 5 months (there's already talk of the "biggest winter in 50 years!") and our skis haven't even made it into the shed for the summer yet! Probably should have had you put the summer wax on before you left ; )
14th July 2009

Blog Link on Chad's Site
Dude, I finally put this trek link onto your website back in later June. Somehow missed the previous blog entry. (I have an email reminder sent.) The BenFest was a good one, and it seems I've had an adventure the last four weekends. Just limited computer time when I need it. And yet I joined Facebook three weeks ago. Oh whooped-tee-doo. I know, how disappointing. What's next? Ben developing an online art gallery through Zwinky.com?
15th July 2009

wow
wow wow wow wow wow!
27th July 2009

Thanks
Thanks for the updates you guys. Inspiring and great writing. We should have joined you with the kids and a Burly. Tahoe says hello. Looking forward to having you back here again! Kevin
30th July 2009

ahh, syphalization.
Not that grinding hauls and river crossings don't sound fun, but the lattes, pavement and architecture do! Then again, party minded-border guards make me edgy from here. No better security than movin'! So JP has welded and in for the powdercoats they go...mine metallic copper and Jora's turd green! The bikes are shipping to Port Townsend. We are looking forward to rides from solduck hot springs. And Caleb is coming!

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1094s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb