St Petersburg 1


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
August 16th 2016
Published: August 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Here we are in rainy St Petersburg, all went smoothly from the airport till we stepped out of the metro at Nevsky Prospect. Then which way to go? Of course we set off on the increasing rain in the wrong direction.... It took sometime and map perusal on street corners to right ourselves. But we did .....and finally found ourselves in the historic Art Hotel Rachmaninov where the said composer lived at some point. Lovely old building with artists pictures on the doors of every room. Beautiful receptionist apologised for our long delay in waiting to sign in (there was a group carping on and on about something) and brought us complimentary coffee to compensate. Hotel kitted out for pre revolution look. Very well done. But it's raining quite a lot and my suitcase wheels have got jammed with quantities of old dog hair or similar. So Ken wrestled with them with needle and tweezers. I sort of relaxed...
Later we went out still in the rain to eat at Frikadelis a self service bar and restaurant 5 minutes away. Borscht, pumpkin soup. Grilled trout, ratatouille. Lots of dill. Georgian red wine. All v eat and drinkable. Attractive place with youngish clientele( but everyone seems young to me), great self service counter with different areas and menus. Laid back. No hassle. Just get what you want. Russian-speaking unnecessary! But I enjoy reading and listening and hope to do some conversing. There is a huge book and stationary shop just across Nevsky Prospect. .. Russian book-buying very possible! So far St Petersburg seems friendly, uncomplicated European city.

Sent from my iPhone

Advertisement



19th August 2016

Love the story so far...
Wee man's progress learning Russian has slowed somewhat since you left. Can you get a little boy book from the Russian book store? He needs more Russian than 'Taskyvortsky' surely? xx I remember being given a knitted white mouse dressed in a blue coat with yellow shoes/whiskers by Mr Rubichov. If he is a folklore mouse maybe get a storybook about him? Enjoy your adventures in the bookshop and beyond xx love JPD xx

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb