Post Project Travels Part 1 - St. Petersburg


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
August 22nd 2009
Published: August 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

The three of us departed Moscow on Tuesday evening, having said our goodbyes to Jill, Anne and Rachel. We set off in the pouring rain and headed for our overnight train to St. Petersburg.

We departed the city at 1am and arrived in St.Petersburg at 9.45am. The train journey was the best so far - the train was nicer, the toilets were nicer and we all got a good nights sleep.

We arrived into the city centre and got our bearings whilst heading for the hostel - even though this did involve getting on a bus in the complete wrong direction - we made it in the end!!

Whilst we have been here we have visited the Hermitage (Winter Palace)- an amazing building filled with collection upon collection of art work from different historical periods and countries. We also went on a day trip to Peterhof, which is filled with gardens and fountains. It is one of many places where Russia meets the Gulf of Finland and we had fun recreating some Russian photo poses! We have also been up St. Issacs cathedral where we could see right across the city, and we have seen the Church of the Spilt Blood. On numerous occassions we have also walked Nevsky Prospect which is THE most famous street in Russia! We've also been across to one of the islands off of the city where we visited St.Peter and St.Pauls Fortress which looked like some sort of film set. Was very different from the rest of the city but equally as interesting. We could bore you with all the details of these places - but that's what wikipedia is for!

One of the best things we have discovered in St.Petersburg is an amazing branch of pancake houses which serve anything and everything you could wish for on a pancake! Soooo good!!

We're heading back to Moscow this evening on yet another overnight train, where we will fly onto Kiev tomorrow afternoon.

Emma, Amber and Susannah x x

Things we have learnt about Russia (Especially Fashion!!) -
- They love slogan t shirts - especially when they are written in English and they have no idea what they say, nor do they make any sense!
- The majority of wedding dresses are hideous. From Siberia to Moscow to St. Petersburg we have seen much evidence to suggest they have no taste when it comes to the big day.
- They bloody love crochet! Tops, bags, Accessories - even boots - they love it!
- The men love their man bags. Matchels are the fave and very popular amongst city men!
- Shoes with holes? What purpose could they possibly serve? - yet still very popular
- Women love high heels. Especially really tacky patent ones. The wear them everywhere - across train tracks, around museums - we're suprised no one wore them going up the mountain
- There's no escaping the Mullet in Russia. Along with the Rat Tail look they are sporting them left, right and centre.
- Considering the amount of trees and bushes there are over here - we have to wonder why people love to have their photo taken with them sooo much? Jumping out from behind trees, amongst flower beds and on top of bushes are common poses.
- Public Displays of Affection. Please make them stop!!
- The men shave their armpits!! We think the British do not need to adopt this trend!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb