Sun, safe driving and seatbelts.


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
June 22nd 2008
Published: June 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, the day finally arrived and I hauled my bag into the car and we set off for Heathrow terminal 5 at just after 6am. Nausea had set in before I went to bed last night and the nerves were kicking in even more as we pulled into the carpark and headed for departures. Having checked in online there was no queue and to check my bag, so off for the last full english breakfast for a year.
Goodbye with Mum and Dad was surprisingly composed, thought I would be crying, but no. Just a few apprehensive smiles, and waves after security and and the adventure has begun. So excited its unbelievable!

As with all flights we were delayed for take-off by 40 minutes and then on arrival at Pulkovo we had to sit and wait for 30 until we could get to our gate. Having sailed through Heathrow the queue at St Petersburg was huge to get through passport control, I was safe while I was in that crowd, with other people who could speak my language and I could chat to, a lovely girl called Sarah from Canada, who is staying here for 5 weeks on a language course and the rest of her group - through the gate was the scary world of unknown alphabet!
Having said that, I have started practising the very few words of Russian I can speak, however I must stick out like a sore thumb, as wandering around aimlessly trying to find an internet cafe, people are automatically saying "Hi, can I help you?", I hope its only because of the phrasebook I have permanently attached to my hand. So here I am, with the first "proper" travelblog.

The weather is beautiful, on the plane it was reported that there were showers in St Petersburg, but it is glorious sunshine and very warm. I managed to find a taxi easliy enough, there was a desk at the airport, this was my first experience of being obviously English, the manager asked where I would like to go before I had even opened my mouth. I was then escorted to my cab and driver who then proceeded to scare me with what appears to be standard city driving, I tried to just take in the scenery, but had quite a shock when we drove past a park and most of the people were laying there naked, not something you generally see in GB, don't know if I'll be venturing that way myself.

Having sped through half the city and stopped at a traffic light my driver only proceeded to apply his seatbelt when faced with a traffic cop. made me smile as I was hanging on for dear life in the back hoping we wouldn't be hit by the beat up Lada to my right. And finally I reached my destination. The hostel is situated in the old part of the city, right round the back of some other huge buildings, it is a bit old fashioned, but seems to be comfortable (photos of the wonderful flowery decor to follow), I think I have heard some more English voices up and down the corridor, but haven't seen them yet, just wanted to come out and find somewhere to let people know I have arrived safely.

Am now off to find a restaurant and point at something in the menu and hope its ok. Speak soon.

Love. L. x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb