bangkok-finland-russia


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
August 21st 2007
Published: August 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well it has been a wonderful trip so far. Spent a couple of days in tropical paradise in HuaHin in 36C - thank goodness for the pool and a/c. we went to the night markets a couple of times and ate the local fare. Really nice and about a fifth of the price of the stuff at the hotel. Lush and green and the cocktails weren't bad in happy hour either. Then off to Helsinki and we got upgraded to Business class - first time ever. Wow those seats are wonderful! They go all ways. Helsinki was clean, and very practical and black and white type of place. People down to earth. Hotel had everything we needed - including nice soft bed. Decided to get the bus to the airport as the taxis were exorbitant - turned out to be best decision as it had room for our/my small amount of luggage and got us there no problem. Half hour flight and we were in St Petersburg. Fantastic! Full of big big buildings that go for metres and metres. \Lots of churches. Had a look round yesterday but didn't go in anywhere as tour starts today. Two funny happenings. Stopped for a beer in a street bar and Kev ordered a bottle of beer - got two plastic cups for the beers - but they don't open them!!! So there we were two beers and no way of opening them. Some law here. Eventually we swapped them for a couple of cans and had a beer! Went to the Western Union to get some rubels and you go into this little room and there is a man directing proceedings. You all wait til he sends you into the little room with two counters one at a time. Oh and he is the keeper of the handle to open the door to let the tellers in - puts the handle in the door opens it and then takes the handle out and lays it on the table next to a portable tv. Wonder if anyone ever runs for the golden handle and tries to get in! We are staying at the Astoria - lovely but no tea in the rooms.
So starting the tour today - going to the Hermitage - if you spent one minute in front of every exhibit they say it would take eleven years to get round everything- we might miss a few out heh.
So missing you all and hope all is well with everyone. love jayne and kevinxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb