Russia...Cossack Gopak with my Kitty-Kat


Advertisement
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
February 29th 2020
Published: February 29th 2020
Edit Blog Post

When I started my first job after leaving school, all the men save one, smoked cigarettes...and all of the female staff. But in those enlightened days...everyone who had a TV knew that cigarettes were cool...and most importantly...they were good for you! When I left there 9 years later...none of the men smoked...not one...but many of the women still did. And that was before laws forbidding smok... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The joy of travelThe joy of travel
The joy of travel

are the good times with the people you meet



29th February 2020

Not a drinker?
Hi Dave, love the kitty cat - now that is wall art. Also enjoyed the true/false story and "chef". As for you not being a drinker I'd say that was "false"...
29th February 2020

Not a drinker?
Great to hear from the Yeti, Andy. I was 'johnny on the spot' when the woman fell in front of Kitty-kat. In a medical sense an occasional drinker can be termed a "not a drinker" and as I enjoy a beer and having discovered G&Ts travelling up the Niger River in a leaky boat, non regularity I proffer can qualify. But as Chopper Reid the notorious criminal who claimed to have murdered five people for which he was never charged and was immortalised by his best selling book and the film "Chopper" starring Eric Bana used to say with a toothless grin, "Don't let facts get in the way of a good story"! Enjoyed your comment.
29th February 2020

"Gopak is the name for Russian Cossack traditional dancing" Hopak (Ukrainian: гопа́к, IPA: [ɦoˈpɑk]) is a Ukrainian folk dance originating as a male dance among the Zaporozhian Cossacks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopak also read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cossacks
29th February 2020

Gopak & Hopak
This has made my day...great to hear from you Alexander. I thought of you while writing this blog and your advice on the social dilemma in Russia of vodka to excess. I will not forget. Thanks for the links on Gopak & Hopak. Oh if I could have shown my gopak skills from my youth on the sundeck. The first LP I ever bought was a Cossack folk music record. I was one of the leads in a Russian Imperial Dance Company and my show-off was on my haunches doing kicking with arms folded. But on our cruise I dared not do so for fear of injury...or not being able to get up! Keep in touch my friend.
29th February 2020

So you got your name Dancing Dave in Murramurang with your kids cheering you on!?
On our cruise to Alaska, one evening the entertainment was the show "Hairspray" with music from the '50's. Unfortunately, I was sitting near the front and a caste member pulled me up on stage to dance the Twist. I am no dancer, but somehow I acquired the name. When walking around on deck or in port, other passengers would point at me and say "There's the dancer!" How embarrassing...I could have used some vodka! I'm enjoying tales of your enculturation...
29th February 2020

So you got your name Dancing Dave in Murramurang with your kids cheering you on!?
So you are also known as 'the dancer', Bob. I can picture it now!!! Those unexpected moments of notoriety or fame are priceless. Reminds me of the time I was picked out of 200 to dance with the belly dancer in the desert in Dubai...and I was not even in the front row!!! They gave me a blowup photo to remember it by. Great memories that make one smile. Thanks for commenting.
1st March 2020
St Petersburg

On drinking in former USSR
I once visited Georgia, former USSR, and was invited for breakfast with a family. I was given a large shot of vodka with the breakfast. While I was slowly drinking that the host drank 5 of them and then went to work. I have also visited Azerbaijan. That's a Muslim country where the attitude towards alcohol is "The Quran forbids us to drink wine. So we drink vodka instead" /Ake
2nd March 2020
St Petersburg

On drinking in former USSR
Great comment Ake. Can't drink wine so OK to drink vodka! Maybe that's why the band at Ennde was so enthused to drink Malian gin with us! I think it was you that told me of the ferry from Finland that was a morning vodka dance fest. The sail-away party I describe has to be the only time I've imbibed in the morning...and many drank a lot more than me. 'If ya can't beat 'em join 'em' certainly made for a memorable day!
1st March 2020

One Good Story Leads to Another...
Great stories! One of the best things about traveling is the people you meet along the way! Dancing with strangers can also be fun...!
2nd March 2020

One Good Story Leads to Another...
Thanks Syl. Hard to tell a good story if it is not a memorable one. Mixing with the locals and those you meet along the way is the best way to enjoy any exotic stay.
1st March 2020

Now that's living!
I knew a girl who worked for a Russian company. She said every morning they would all get together and do a shot of vodka to start their day. Good on ya for representing yourself so well and throwing caution into the wind as you gopacked to your heart's delight. And you outsculling the bronzed young lad is clearly the stuff of legends and fables. Good stuff.
2nd March 2020

Now that's living!
I knew a girl...often leads to a good story don't you reckon, Tommy. I once played chess with a genius and to his shock I won. Was I silly enough to let him have a rematch? No way...and he keeps asking!!! Gotta grab your luck while ya got it. Some exploits are hard to repeat. Now that's the stuff of the wise...and the stuff of legends!
7th March 2020

I seem to recall that the strawberries were heavily infused with alcohol
Hi Dave and Denise, I do enjoy your blogs, I seem to recall that the strawberries were heavily infused with alcohol. After reading this blog, remembering previous ones, I can picture you on a winter's night, storm howling outside the large windows, large fire with flames dancing, you, your family all snuggled up together on a large comfy sofa and you telling a story....not reading but relating a vivid story as it comes to mind. Thank you for bringing back the memories with both pictures and words
7th March 2020

I seem to recall that the strawberries were heavily infused with alcohol
I don't recall if the strawberries were heavily infused with alcohol, Simon. But I will never forget the mischief on our faces as we planned how to vote for Chef each time and Chef's, Sasha's & Tim's reactions. When you and Denise devised how the three of us would raise our arms in unison then with perfect timing gurgle "Chef" as our arms reached the vertical with our one finger salutes...brilliant. I will never forget the excitement in your face and the joy of spending time together on many occasions on that trip. Pity Liz missed Liars Club but now your exploits are preserved in the ether for her and many others to enjoy.
19th March 2020

sounds like a great time for sure
sorry I hadn't had a chance to check out your post earlier - sounds like a great time for yourselves as well as those that you met! As you say, the travel is about the people you meet - when people ask where we like the best it seems to always be about the people rather than the things we see. You were braver than I in St. Petersburg as didn't get any of in uniform - as in so many places it is interesting to see the number of brides and grooms going around cities having their photos taken - some things are the same in so many places. As always - enjoy the travels and thanks for sharing
19th March 2020

sounds like a great time for sure
Russia has so many faces...one minute is the history...another the stunning scenery...another the sumptuous culture in the architecture, music, art for the ages...and then there are the people. This blog was a bit of fun. Next blog I return to the history that captures Russian psyche in so many ways. Thanks for checking it out and commenting.
20th March 2020

Vodka... oh, just one more!
"A warm glow of nectar sliding down our throats...all eyes red for a second then replaced by a smile...". And so another adventure for the Dancing one and Denise.... we have first hand knowledge of dancing into the wee hours and becoming one with the music. Good for you. Living the dream my friend. Oh those lovely chocolate covered strawberries. The journey.. as you say, the good times spent with those you meet. Another great addition to your blog collection. Thanks for taking us along. MJ
21st March 2020

Vodka... oh, just one more!
Always nice to reminisce the dancing into the wee hours in the Queens Lounge with Mr Sipp and Dave & you MJ on our Legendary Blues Cruise...no bigger smiles could ever be seen. And not a drop of vodka required to lubricate the moves!!! Ah...so many good times can be had when travelling. All you need are like minded people to share them with.
20th March 2020
St Petersburg

Weddings
You've been invited to another one.
20th March 2020
St Petersburg

St Petersburg
A lively city.
21st March 2020
St Petersburg

St Petersburg
So much to see and do here MJ. Wonder what Peter the Great would think if he could see it now. Once a marshland and it has now become this. His vision exponentially enhanced...gotta wonder!

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 17; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb