Going Home!!


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
July 27th 2006
Published: July 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Last day out of the USA!! The Royal Aurora hotel is a beautiful hotel. Too bad our stay was less than 24 hours. Got a taxi instead of using the hotel's car service, because it was cheaper. Kind of an old beatup car, but he got us there, for the rate the bellman told us he had agreed to. While waiting for the bellboy to round up a taxi, got a message from Delta saying the flight would be delayed 1:10 (turns out the flight was late getting in from Atlanta).

We were warned about the check-in process at Sheremetyevo II. I just have to describe it. Upon entering the front door of the airport, you put your bags through x-ray. George had to open his suitcase to show them the little bottles and cheese knives that showed up on x-ray. Then you must look on a big board for your flight (which alternates English and Russian) to determine your flight and whether you go left or right to go to your flight's checkin. At that point, you stand in line to put your bags through x-ray again before entering the Delta check-in area (only two Delta flights this morning), and then they ask you a number of security questions (even more than the rote questions we have to answer in the US about whether our bags have been in our control, etc.), and then you open your checked baggage for them to go through it. Fortunately Business Class got us to the front of this line. Then Business Class check-in (nice and short). Got a card to admit us to the DATE lounge for business class. This check-in (and maybe some others) feeds into an area to queue for passport control. There was a queue to the left and to the right. Our check-in lady said "right would be better", but we thought she meant the line was shorter. Since they looked the same to us and the left was closer, we went through it. We knew to have our immigration card with our passport and ready to return, so this went smoothly too. Then we found out why "right would be better". We had to do a nearly 360 degree circle around the gates (and passed the "right" passport control) to get to the stairs up to the DATE lounge. Serves a number of airlines. Not real large, but there were enough seats. Not as comfortable as the Business Class lounge in Atlanta, but given the lack of places to wait in the terminal (some travelers were camped out up stairs, spreading a blanket on the floor), nice to have. We took turns guarding our seats and carry-ons and scouting duty free. The terminal shops were all either duty free or eating/drinking places, so I guess this terminal is all international. Spent the last of our rubles and euros, and then some. The flight time was still posted as scheduled, so George asked the DATE lounge attendent about any delay. She said boarding was listed as 2 pm (that would be a two hour delay), but it was some time before an estimated departure of 1:45 p.m. was posted on the screens. Having that Delta e-mail proved invaluable, because the last bit of advance knowledge was helpful here. To get to the gates, you have to go through x-ray and hand check of carry-ons again. Once inside this area (gate area for the two Delta flights), there is nothing to do except wait. In fact, there are not nearly enough seats for everyone, so it was really very desirable not to get there until boarding time. In spite of the fact that the Delta zone boarding was printed on the boarding passes, it was not used. We lucked out in that our just-in-time arrival to the gate area meant we were standing next to the entry to the jet way when boarding started. Again, we had to answer security questions about our carry-on baggage before getting to the person who was taking the boarding pass. Whew!! One more item of note -- only one runway was open (for takeoffs and landing), so there was a long wait for takeoff. When we got the clearance to go, we couldn't because someone couldn't stand the wait and was in the toilet. So, a few more flights landed before we got clearance again. Be assured that warnings were issued at that point for all to stay seated!

Back in Atlanta, 12 hours later. The customs clearance wasn't nearly as bad as it was two years ago. The passport control line was long, but moved quickly. Getting our baggage and rechecking it for delivery to regular baggage claim, and going through security again (one last time!!) to get back in the terminal area was no wait (compared to two years ago, when we had to wait forever -- tired and irritable). I've lost track of the number of times my film has been through x-ray. Here's hoping it survived.

The Atlanta heat was awaiting us (highest temperature on our trip was nearly 80. Usually low-mid 70s, or lower. Only one last thing to do before our re-entry is complete -- eat Mexican at Rio Grande! (Mexican restaurants were actually available everywhere we went, but it's just not the same.)

Thanks for joing us!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0976s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb