Moscow


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
July 26th 2006
Published: July 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

While nice, the train compartment is just that, meaning small. Nice little snack breakfast left in the compartment with coffee delivered. Amy was quite surprised to learn that the little jar of red stuff was not strawberry jam (it was red caviar).

Let the first guy to approach us about a taxi take us. Very talkative -- wanted to practice his English. The Moscow Aurora (in Russian -- Avrora) is beautiful and centrally located. Staffed 24 hour health club with steam room and sauna. Wonderfully we got an early check in (9 a.m.), and showered and rested. Just a block from the Bolshoi, but it is being repaired.

Went to Red Square (which was not named Red for communism). Massive. St. Basil's Cathedral with onion domes gorgeous. Interior is dingy, but it does date from the 15th and 16th century. Never modernized since the capital was moved to St. Petersburg, and thus still shows the old style. Lunch (side walk cafe). Stood in line for Kremlin entry tickets. Got Armory tickets with audio guide, and cathedral square tickets to be purchased inside. The armory was built to store the wealth of the kingdom (gifts, etc.) before the capital was moved. Came out and then needed to buy more tickets to move on to cathedral square, but they wouldn't sell them to us because the Kremlin closes at 5 p.m. (it was only 4:20). Oh, well. (In case you don't know, Kremlin is the old Russian name for a walled fortress.). Called Hugh to meet us earlier. Subway to his apartment for dinner. Gorgeous interior.

Advertisement



27th July 2006

Almost over....
The electricity is off and I am typing by lightening as we are having a thunder storm. Sounds like you have had a great trip and lots more to share, I'm sure....I'll look forward to that next year in February when I am in the States for a few days....I am so thankful that you have had a good journey. God has awakened me several times to pray for you. Trust the trip home will be enjoyable, too.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb