Moscow


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
April 3rd 2006
Published: April 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Getting the train from St.Petersburg to Moscow gave us an insight to what our TransMongolian cabin would be like, and it's very claustrophobic! Four bunks crammed into a cabin, with a tiny table and window, it was great fun trying to converse with the local Russian lady who shared with us.

We got picked up at the station by a driver for the hostel, in a beat up Lada car whose doors wouldn't open, then wouldn't close, and had to start by rolling. Brilliant! Blaring dodgy German 80s pop music while breaking red lights on our way, we got a great feel for Moscow.

Did the usual sights, Red Square with St.Basils Cathedral, the Kremlin with the Armoury and Cathedral Square. One of the highlights was queuing to see Lenin's preserved body in the Lenin Mausoleum. Apart from the Russian guards who were picking off people wholesale from the queue to argue with them over their passports and papers, the mausoleum itself was very weird, where you head down into a black marble chamber full of Russian guards in full regalia with their guns, into the central area where Lenin is laid out and preserved as on the day he died. Very bizarre.

Another sight was the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier where we saw the Kremlin guards goose-stepping, as official members of the Ministry of Funny Walks!

Outside the Kremlin and the Red Square is certainly the place to see strange things. We saw the local Communist Protest Group with their red CCCP flags marching around the Red Square, Lenin lookalikes, locals with monkees dressed up as people and of course, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

We had been told by the English guy sharing our room that the annual conscription for the Russian police force had happened yesterday, and so lucky for us, there were hundreds of new policeman wandering the city just waiting for a chance to nab us! There are many different types of officials to avoid, between army, traffic police, "normal" police, Kremlin guards and others. Many of the guards were very young, and looked about 15 years of age.

Apologies for the lack of photos, but having trouble uploading onto PCs, so bear with me!
Heading off on the TransMongolian this evening, so it will be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to update the blog.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

LeninLenin
Lenin

It's himself alright.


12th April 2006

getting old
It's a sure sign you're getting old, Rachel, when policemen start to look young !!!
14th April 2006

Mayo V Moscow
Trust you to be away when Mayo go through a whole series of league games without having a "Mayo Day!" They must be saving it for the championship. If you run into any of them Russia Oil Mafia Dudes you could maybe talk them into buying over Tyrone. We need a few pound to replace God.

Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 24; qc: 123; dbt: 0.1396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb