Moscow


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
September 17th 2008
Published: September 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Moscow a couple of days ago after boarding an overnight train from St Petersburg. We had to take first class sleeper tickets as all the second class had been sold, and we ended up spending 100 pounds per ticket. However it was extremely comfortable and we both got a good night sleep.

Arriving in Moscow at the station named after Lenin was a bit of a shock. There were plenty of tramps lying in thier own urine and the entrance to the underground smelt like a sewer. I'm pleased to say however it got much nicer! The actual underground tunnels are magnificent and look like grand hotels. It is very clean with enormous escalators and the tunnels and stations were apparently designed to act as bomb shelters in case of nuclear attack - you can see all the blast doors that would slide into place.

Yesterday we visited Red Square and took some pictures. (I will try and get some up soon). We visited Lenin in his tomb (looked quite like a wax work to me) and saw Stalin's grave.

Tonight we embark on our Trans-Siberian journey. We have been staying at the hotel Cosmos; enormous place that like everywhere and everything in Moscow is very expensive. We have met our 10 fellow travellers for the trip and they all seem really nice. I'm trying to convince Gem we need to buy some vodka for the journey! I'll write again in Mongolia.

Allan


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Lenin's mausoleumLenin's mausoleum
Lenin's mausoleum

We went inside to see him - no photos allowed
Gem yawning!Gem yawning!
Gem yawning!

..endless photos
Hotel CosmosHotel Cosmos
Hotel Cosmos

Our Mosow hotel - with a statue of De Gaulle in front of it for some reason
Four berth cabinFour berth cabin
Four berth cabin

Gemma and Derek


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 66; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb