Once upon a time.


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Centre » Yaroslavl
September 6th 2005
Published: January 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

House of Culture.House of Culture.House of Culture.

Lenin Square, at the end of ulitsa Nekrasova.
A new day, new people to meet.

Viktor gave us a history lesson, which started with us telling him about our first impressions of Yaroslavl ("amazing architecture, feels very different to England, hard to find your way around") and finished with a one hour lecture on how the city was founded, and the history of some of the churches and towers. In 1010 Prince Yaroslav the Wise built a fortress on the spot where he killed a bear, and in the 16th century it was Russia's second city after Moscow. It was interesting to hear about what the place we live in was like 995 years ago, but after two hours of speaking and trying to understand Russian we were all exhausted.

Another 'crazy crazy landlady' chat in the break over cups of tea, then two hours of grammar with Olga, who is very serious when she teaches but stops every ten minutes or so for a giggle. She has an old fashioned teaching style, and we are taught as schoolchildren rather than young adults. We already have a lot of homework but I want to learn because the more I know the more things I can do. I now have my heart set on a phone I found for 3100 roubles on ulitsa Nekrasova with cyrillic keys, but I will need to think carefully about what to say when buying one.

It's a half an hour walk back to Tolbukhina from the internet café so if I give myself an hour and three quarters I can get lost once or twice! Rush hour around Ploschad' Lenina is awful. There are no road markings and it is a huge circular crossroads with cars driving into the centre of it dangerously fast. There are a lot of accidents and cars could hit you from any angle. No wonder the roads are so wide, as no-one drives safely.

Advertisement



6th September 2005

I'm going to be hooked to this journal I can tell! Not often does LOL deserve to be used but your descriptions have really made me smile at the very least. I am so excited for you (still!) and can't wait for more posts. Glad to hear you're settling in OK and having a good time. Love Frances
7th September 2005

Sounds like you're having a very interesting time Jon, waaay more interesting than being stuck back at home! And it sounds like you're coping pretty well too. You give the impression that it's all kind of surreal. Well I hope you continue having an amazing time, and you'd better watch your towels in future.
7th September 2005

Hey from Russia
Hey babes im an internet cafe so i dont have much time i'll write more next time i promise. im glad to hear you're having an amazing time bears and everything Petersburg is great just so overwhelming i can't believe its for 10 months. It is so beautiful here and so cheap life cant really get any better Speak soon xxx x

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb