BL #33: Hike the Bucegi Mountains


Advertisement
Europe » Romania
August 4th 2014
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.4194, 25.5446As unforgettable as Peles Castle was, we actually came to Sinaia for a different reason - to do a bit of hiking in the mountains of Romania, and to briefly escape the country's stifling heat. Sinaia itself isn't that great, a very expensive tourist town, that is a bit reminiscent of Banff, in all the wrong ways. However, its cable car up to the mountains is super con... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 0, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Random Farmstead ...Random Farmstead ...
Random Farmstead ...

... Romanian hiking trails are a bit funny - at first, the trail was marked with WAY too many markers, spaced every ten feet or so apart. But we got to a certain point where they simply disappeared, so we ended up just making our own path to Cabana Babele, the first stop on our hike.
Freaky Dog ...Freaky Dog ...
Freaky Dog ...

... Romania is infamous for strays, and while we were sitting on some rocks having lunch, this dog snuck up on us. I turned to my left and saw nothing but a big dog's face right next to mine.
The Queue For Busteni ...The Queue For Busteni ...
The Queue For Busteni ...

... almost there! This was the last step before getting on the cable car, nearly 90 minutes after we first lined up.
Chimney Cakes ...Chimney Cakes ...
Chimney Cakes ...

... these are sold all over the place in Romania, and this was a perfect snack after our hike. Roasted over coals, this one was coated in a sugary glaze and studded with walnuts. Delicious, especially when eaten piping hot - just be careful not to burn your tongue or the roof of your mouth!
Freebie ...Freebie ...
Freebie ...

... we were given a free aperitif - a shot of blueberry liqueur, which took the edge off of the mediocre meal to come.
Jeers to TripAdvisor ...Jeers to TripAdvisor ...
Jeers to TripAdvisor ...

... in sharp contrast to last night's excellent meal at Bistro La Teleferic, this evening's dinner at Tirol was kind of bad. But we deserve some jeers as well, as we should've known better than to choose an Austrian-themed restaurant in Romania. This mixed grill of pork, turkey, and beef was tough and chewy, and the sauce not so great. The one saving grace was the potatoes.
Smoked Duck Breast ...Smoked Duck Breast ...
Smoked Duck Breast ...

... with potatoes and mushrooms in a Tirol gravy. The gravy simply didn't go with the duck, which had a very odd spongey/rubbery texsture. Way too salty. What saved the meal was a couple of pretty good Romanian wines.
Fancy Hotel That Backpackers Can't Afford ...Fancy Hotel That Backpackers Can't Afford ...
Fancy Hotel That Backpackers Can't Afford ...

... the Tirol restaurant is located in a nice hotel, so we felt pretty out of place in our shorts and flip flops tonight!



22nd August 2014

Have Fun!!!

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb