Monasteries and Gondola Tours


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania
June 12th 2007
Published: June 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Cement MixerCement MixerCement Mixer

Interesting way to mix cement. We found this several times--mix on ground, put in small pails, and then haul pails of cement to area needed.
Our first day in Sinaia was wonderful. After a long day of exploring, we were ready to bed down in the comfort of down pillows and comforter at the New Montana Hotel. As with mountain climate, it was so cool and refreshing. Our comment to Doug was, “It will be so nice to sleep with the windows open and breathe the night air.” His comment, “Well, I hope you get used to the dogs.” Of course, we were tired and didn’t pay any attention to that comment.

We should have. There is a peaceful day socialization of humankind in Sinaia. At night, it is dog socialization time. Throughout Sinaia on the night we stayed, all dogs “talked” to one another all night long—at the same time—nonstop until sunrise. I suppose one would eventually get used to that. Nevertheless, it was difficult to wake up in the morning 1 hour after the dogs went to bed!

We started our morning by going to a small town north of Sinaia—Busten. The gondola in Sinaia was closed so we had to find another one for The Photographer. Matt was privileged to ride the gondola by himself—it just worked out that way.
Busten MonastaryBusten MonastaryBusten Monastary

Stairs through the woods, up a mountain side to the Caraiman Monastary in Busten.
There were 4 other people on the ride and amazingly one was a university student from Los Angeles. So that worked out. He got some great pictures and said it was very beautiful up there at about 7,000 feet.

We were on our way back to Sinaia and saw a sign for a monastery. We decided to stop and visit it. So the trek started—up the side of a mountain. It was absolutely beautiful in the forest. When we got to the gate, an old lady begging greeted us. A donation gets you prayers. The monastery was being renovated and partially rebuilt. The biggest surprise was a shepherd that came on the monastery grounds as soon as we got there. He herded his goats into an area beyond the monastery grounds then he came on the grounds and turned a garbage can over. The goats, well trained, saw that and started running to the dumped trash. The shepherd watched over them as they ate what he scattered for them. Then he picked up what was left and put it back in the can. Such a simple life.

We then went to another monastery back in Sinaia. It was being renovated also. The paintings and mosaics on the churches are unbelievable. Very serene. Both monasteries are so rich in history, and it was good to see that they were being preserved.

We then returned to Bucharest. Tuesday’s plan is for The Team to tour the People’s Palace. Wednesday The Team heads for Venice—I believe Doug has prepared The Team for life in a non-USA country. The Team still invited Doug to join them, but he is cutting us loose. In Venice, The Team will meet up with an American who has been in Europe for several months so we will have a lifeline—maybe. If nothing else, the 3 of us will explore Venice, Verona, Lake Garda, and the surrounding areas together!

Having the Time of Our Lives,
The Son and Mom Kind of Missing The USA Bonding Team



Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

ShepherdShepherd
Shepherd

Herded his sheep to this location and then he went to empty trash can on the monastary grounds.


13th June 2007

White kitty's haircut!
Photos are great. The goat with the white kitty's haircut is hilarious! LOL
13th June 2007

Thank You for Sharing
Wow Matt you are awesome with that camera and my friend you are a great writer I feel like I'm on the trip with you Thank you for sharing your trip with all of us
13th June 2007

Lucky Man
Matt- your pictures capture the essence of this loving country. They also remind me of just how lucky I have been to grow with the admiration of these generous people. The Romanians prove that giving is from the heart and NOT from the pocketbook. Denise--I can talk and talk and no one can understand what I have experienced here. Your visit here has given me a real opportunity to share my experiences in this, my adopted home. Doug Hebert

Tot: 0.439s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1207s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb