Buna Ziua!


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania
June 9th 2007
Published: June 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Heyyyy guys,

Sorry its been so long since ive posted! I thought the internet would be WAY more availiable than it is. Anyways ive got soo much to fill in so sorry if this one seems scattered.

We are staying in this town called Pitesti, which is about 20 minutes away from the Apartment blocks that we are working on which is in this villiage called Oarja. The buildings we are working in are about 50 to 60 years old and were donated by the farm next door. The kind of things they(habitat for humanity) have got us working on are things like putting in doors and windows, cementing walls, wiring electricity through out the building, and plumbing, among other tasks. But even by just doing those things let me tell you...construction standards here are NOTHING like home. Everything is kind of just done by eye. The the guy in charge of the site is named Christi and is unbelievably funny. Well our whole team has about 17 people and from there we are broken up into teams of 3 or 4. At first i was on a team with Matt and this other kid named Mike installing doors. But as of 2 days ago I have been doing lighter work because I dropped a sledge hammer(which is believed to be 35ish pounds)on my toe. Im ok for now but damn it looked bad! Now Im cementing around doorways and windows and pretty much anything i can do with out getting in peoples way.

There are a total of 4 buildings that are owned by Habitat and 2 of them are finished. Working along side us are the families that will be moving into the apartments which is great because we get to see the smiles on these families faces before its even done. While we work, the families of the other two bulidings come out frequently just to see whats going on and the kids often play around with us and are some of the cutest kids i have ever seen. Most of the people that came on this trip brought all sorts of toys and books so its great to see the kids having a good time with all this stuff they arent used to getting.

There is soo much more i want to write but i just dont have the time or the 'lei' (cash)! Ill write more asap! And since I cant figure out how to post pictures on this site ill just be putting them in my myspace so keep an eye on that i guess! miss you all back home!

Take it easy guys!
-Nathan


Advertisement



9th June 2007

wow
"I dropped a sledge hammer(which is believed to be 35ish pounds)on my toe." <-You would do that...lol.... I'm glad your havin a good time over there helpin them out, sounds like it would humble someone a lot from being used to one thing so much like here to something like that over there.... Good to hear the progress...why do you need cash to get on the internet?...

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb