Budapest to Satu Mare, Romania


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Transilvania
September 19th 2011
Published: September 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mariapocs mapMariapocs mapMariapocs map

I am in Mariapocs
This morning we picked up our auto at Fox Auto Rental. It is a surprisingly roomy 4 door Citroen Picasso. We had to drive through the city to get to the M3. Once again I saw many more incredible buildings and cityscape. M3 is the motorway that takes us from Budapest northeast to Romania. An electronic vignette to use this toll road is required - it cost me about $7 for unlimited use of Hungary's 5 toll roads. M3 allows speeds of up to 130 kph, however many Benz, Audis and BMW passed me at 20 or more above that. The roads are very smooth, have rest areas and gas stations with food every 20 km. That same $7 dollars will get you from Burlington to Toronto on the 407ETR once.

We took a detour toward the shrine cathedral at Mariapocs. Father Deak of Welland wanted me to stop and say hello to 2 of his fellow priests on the way to Romania. Religious pilgrims come from all over Romania, Hungary, Slovenia and North America as this is one of the great shrines to Hungarian Greek Catholics.

We had charted a course on our Transylvania map but, were redirected
The church in MariapocsThe church in MariapocsThe church in Mariapocs

Classic Style of church in Mariapocs
a different route by our GPS. It efficiently guided us along and we were a half hour from the border when I got pulled over by the police. It turns out head lights must be turned on or you face a stiff fine. Our running lights work as soon as the car is started so I missed that these do not. I got let off with a warning.

When we finally got to the Hungarian border town at Vallag we realized we had been redirected but, decided to cross. The customs agent asked his normal questions and said he thought all was ok except his immigration colleagues thought Jackie didn't look like her passport or any other ID for that matter.
They told us to pull over an wait. Three, 5, 10 minutes later customs brings the passports and reports all is fine.

We leave heading to Carei. Instantly we see that the most common transportation is horse, bicycle and walking. I am mindful of this fact and come upon another horse drawn wagon and proceed to pass. For the second time in an hour I am pulled over. This time the police officer is very upset that
IconIconIcon

Icon of the Weeping Mother of God - Mariapocs
I don't speak Romanian or Hungarian. He asked why I rented a Hungarian registered vehicle and couldn't speak the language.

Tickets in Romania are written by hand and this took 15 minutes. The ticket will be paid at the post office, then taken to the police to be inspected. Remember to always have your passport when making a transaction of a financial nature.

tomorrow.. relatives found



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Shrine at MariapocsShrine at Mariapocs
Shrine at Mariapocs

Area at back of shrine for Pilgrims


Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0121s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb