Week 1-2


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Transilvania » Mures » Sighisoara
April 25th 2008
Published: April 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post


Night one:
We spent the first night in Belgium which was so cold the tents froze at night. I spent the night shivering and wondering where the nearest airport was to get the first flight home!!

Night Two:
Night two was spent at our first proper stop in Cologne. We had two nights there and had time to look at the spectacular Dom Cathedral and went for dinner at a traditional German restaurant which sold Sausage by the metre.

Night 4:
Night 4 was spent in Bamburg where we sampled the local smoky beer. It tasted rather like a pint of liquid bacon and most people agreed was "interesting" and only has one pint. Had a quick look around Bamburg in the rain in the morning which is small and quaint in places but not much to see.

Night 5:
We then drove to Prague and stayed a whole 3 nights and had two full days. We wandered around the city in the morning which i think has been my favourite so far. Very beautiful with lots of stunning buildings and beautiful paintings and drawings done by street artists. We spent the afternoon watching the Hurling with the Irish members of the group and then went for dinner and absinthe shots.
The next morning felt a bit worse for wear and spent the day chilling out in the campsite.

Night 8:
We spent most of the next day driving to Budapest where we had two nights. The next day we wandered around the twin cities. There were some very pretty buildings but i preferred Prague despite the hundreds of tourists there. In the afternoon we went to the thermal baths and i had a traumatisingly naked massage from a very muscley hungarian lady! I tried to hide under my towel but she just laughed and whipped it away. The hot thermal baths were amazing and i felt clean and relaxed for the first time in a week! Getting out and going back to the tents was a chore but when we got back we found out we would be in a hotel for the next two nights!

Night 10:
After a 12 hour drive we finally arrived at the Rex hotel in Sighisoara, Romania. For the first time on the trip it feels as if we are far away and there is a massive change in the people and the surroundings. Romania is very hilly and we had some lovely views as we drive in. There is also alot more poverty around. We have spent today wandering around the town which is the birthplace of Vlad Tepes and is very picturesque but also very small. Tonight we are going for pizza and the tomorrow we are driving up to Bran Castle which inspired Bram stokers Dracula even tho Vlad Tepes never actually stayed there.










Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

BudapestBudapest
Budapest

Richard, Christie, Jo, Jen
Jo's Pub in Sighisoara!!!Jo's Pub in Sighisoara!!!
Jo's Pub in Sighisoara!!!

First Brisbane now Romania!
Iron shoes along the Danube in BudapestIron shoes along the Danube in Budapest
Iron shoes along the Danube in Budapest

We found this line of iron shoes and guessed they were to comemorate people who had drowned here.
On top of Rasnov castleOn top of Rasnov castle
On top of Rasnov castle

Left to right: Me, Andrew, Mike, Sam, Edel,Alexa, Kirsten


28th April 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
:)
1st May 2008

Ah-daisies really suit you!
12th May 2008

A pub with my name on - so exciting!!!!

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0736s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb