Dracula's Castle.................


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Transilvania » Brasov » Brasov
May 27th 2006
Published: May 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Oh ye believers of the legend.............

Without a crucifix, garlic, silver bullet or a stake, I have ventured into Dracula's Castle and returned without a touch of being undead! Truth be told, Vlad Tepes is a genuine hero in these parts. He was a true nationalist who wanted to make his territories free from the Turkish invaders.. Ok, yeah, he did impale people (and now I do know how to it), but more as a warning to his enemies. There is history that Vlad's grandfather went to the Castle, but no record that Vlad himself ever went there. For that metter, neither did Bram Stoker!!!
Yes, it dates back to the 1400s which was Vlad's time. In the 1920's the people of Wallachia and Transylvania gave the Castle to the Queen at the time, Marie. The Communists allowed the place to deteriorate and it was restored after the revolution to what the interiors were like in the 1920's. Just this week, Queen Marie's decendants have won a court battle and ownership has once again returned to the family. Immediately, the entrance price has gone up and one now has to wear slippers over your shoes. Rumors are rampant that after 3 years, the castle will be closed to the public......which will really piss off the locals who have a wonderful and lucrative industry based on the Dracula legends. So, good friends, keep the legend of Dracula like you keep the legend of Santa Claus. Go along with it. Do not think that I am finished with this however, because Dracula was imprisoned in Hungary for about 12 years, so we still have to look for him when we get there.

The weather has been wonderful since we left the oppresive heat of Bucharest. 60s in the AM going up to the mid 70s during the day. No humidity, just clean fresh air !!!!!

Tomorrow, we go to Peles Castle which is reputed to be one of the most beautiful in all of Europe and was used by the royal family up to 1947.

Remember, keep the legend!!!!!
Bob

Advertisement



Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0727s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb