over the mountains to Transylvania


Advertisement
Europe » Romania » Transilvania » Brasov » Brasov
May 19th 2009
Published: June 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday, May 19th. We took the 6:13am P-train from Gara de Noor in Bucharest to Brasov. We were so excited to get our first peek at the mountains. The train ride was very nice and quiet. We arrived at the chaotic train station and navigated our way by bus to the hostel. Unfortunately, they did not get our reservations and the cheapest dorm room was booked. We had to stay in a private room which wa... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 70, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Kismet Dao HostelKismet Dao Hostel
Kismet Dao Hostel

We still can't believe we are in Transylvania, this rules!
Bran CastleBran Castle
Bran Castle

make no mistake about it, i am rockin' my fanny pack!
view from Bran Castleview from Bran Castle
view from Bran Castle

this was the only photo we took inside the castle. you had to pay extra to take pics. of course, we didn't pay for that and were too scared to take any more pics for fear of Dracula kicking us out of his house!
snail!snail!
snail!

there were so many huge snails like this in Transylvania. we really grew to love them but also had a lot of guilt because we both accidently stepped on them, too. terrible terrible crunch.
Bran CastleBran Castle
Bran Castle

Built by Saxons from Brasov in 1382 to defend the Bran pass against Turks, the castle may have housed Vlad for a few nights on his flight from the Turks in 1462, following their attack on the Poienari fortress in the Arges Valley. From 1920 Queen Marie lived in the castle, and it served as a summer royal residence until the forced abdication of King Michael in 1947. It became a museum in 1957.
Romania's soccer team SteauaRomania's soccer team Steaua
Romania's soccer team Steaua

thinking of graham and dad!
election time in Romania!election time in Romania!
election time in Romania!

not sure who this is but we saw many signs and political propaghanda for different politicians in Romania.



4th June 2009

fanny packs are coming back!!
I love all of your photos!!! I'm so happy we got to talk yesterday, Em! I told LaSandra you said hi and she flipped out! It also brought up that I am leaving - that was hard :( I'm really glad you brought a fanny pack - now I can make fun of you! I really think they are going to come back in style! I love mine! TAGES! I miss you!! I hope Em told you how we're letting our futures paint themselves...glorious, just glorious. Hope you women are having fun - I'm so glad there are tons of photos and commentary. Keep it strong!!! I'm really serious - you have to let me know 1.5 months before you go to Slovenia. We have been planning on going there for a really long time, so PLEASE let me know!!! Maybe we will meet you there...or, at least I will.
8th June 2009

Mountains!
It looks so beautiful! How exciting that you continue to meet nice and helpful people.
12th June 2009

that's a classy haircut!
12th June 2009

i really like the pic of em being classy at the fountain. my heart is swollen with pride.

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0176s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb